Pic du Midi de Bigorre - anyone ridden up there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
During my 2 weeks of cycling in late June to early July in Italy and then France, one climb I have planned is the Pic du Midi de Bigorre, i.e. to ride up the Col du Tourmalet, but then head north up the road to the Pic du Midi de Bigorre. As far as I can tell, it's accessible in summer and the unsealed part of the road surface isn't too bad.
Can any of you tell me what it's like riding up there? I'm hoping there's nothing to prevent me riding up there, because the Google StreetView images from the top look spectacular.

Regards,

--- Victor.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It seems the top 1 km mostly isn't rideable
http://www.cycling-challenge.com/pic-du-midi-de-bigorre-via-col-du-tourmalet/

The observatory is serviced via a cable car and an old cable railway affair. The track to the top branches off just before the lower end of the railway.
There's a museum, so they obviously expect visitors.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
I walked up there a few years back, from memory the road would be easily doable on a MTB or even a hybrid or tourer if the gears were low enough.
But I don't think it's one for your full carbon road bike with skinny tyres

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Thanks, people, for the replies. I can walk the last 1km if needed. I really want to go up there, because it's one of the highest accessible parts of the Pyrenees (I think?), and the views look spectacular online.

Top Bottom