Picos/Asturias family holiday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Hi,
I am trying to put together a holiday that allows a family of 5, including 3 kids aged 9-16, some beach time, some activities such as white water rafting, and also allows me to go off for rides in the Picos. The Hotels i have looked at don't seem as geared up as those in the Alps for this type of holiday. So i wondered if anyone here had any experience of such a holiday in the Picos, balancing the needs of family and cyclist and if so you had any recommendations or indeed, warnings!

MarkF

Guru
There are lots of lovely resorts along the coast including, Llanes, Ribadsella, Luanco, Cudillero but IMO only Llanes would suit younger kids and this place provides easy access to the Picos. It is a very popular resort though and you may have to book early.

I took my kids to Asturias for the first time when they were 7,9 & 13, we stayed in Llanes but after 3 days moved to Gijon, the move motivated by boredom, IMO a 16 year old would go stir crazy. Gijon is where I would stay. It's a relaxing place, has a wonderful large, flat beach (San Lorenzo) a lovely historic area (Cimadevila) and plenty of stuff to see/do. Gijon also provides easy access to the Picos and coast via the FEVE train, I can assure you I saw plenty of organised water sport activity from that train. The train stops at every single station so it should be easy for you to make activity enquries and synch in journey times, the train also accepts cycles.

OP
OP
bobinski

bobinski

Legendary Member
Ta for the replies, especially the last one!

Going to stick with Bourg st Maurice this year having got train tickets there and back including couchette for 5 for just over £900. That is £1300 less than i was quoted online via the Eurostar/SNCF website and well worth the quick visit to Rail Europes shop in London today. Will plan properly next year for Asturias. I actually cycled in the Picos almost 30 years ago and really looking forward to getting back there.

Top Bottom