Pigeon Down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Well yes. One came down the chimney and is currently padding about on the ledge above the gas fire. I can't get my arm in there - need to be double jointed and very long, thin limbed - and can't see how to remove the necessary parts. Not that I'm all that happy about having the fire taken out anyway.

So should I let nature take its course? Or..........?

BTW - I have lost my sense of smell but others may still have theirs

stephec

Legendary Member
Have you got an air rifle?

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Can you tempt it down? They love sweetcorn apparently.
They are supposed to go towards the light. So bright light deployed.:thumbsup:
Smell, maggots, flies...you decide if you want to take it out. I once demolished a bricked in fireplace to get one out. Damn stupid buggers pigeons.
But the bloody thing doesn't do what it's supposed to do :rolleyes:

It should be pretty thirsty by now. Trouble is I've nowhere sensible to put the water.

I can see all sorts of tempting things dropping down behind the fire for the archaeologists to wonder about centuries from now :wacko:

Are pigeon's the only bird capable of VTOL

Diggs

Veteran
Bloody pigeons! Always making me swerve like an idiot when they bumble out of bushes at the side of the road...
We were taking the car back to the airport in Jersey last year as one sauntered out into the middle of the road, there was nowhere for me to go and I was hoping it would just get it's head down if I kept it between the tyres.... Whump!... checks rear view... "What was that Dad?" "Nothing kids."

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Damn things! I dismantled our dining room fire twice in a two month period to release woodpigeons which had fallen down the chimney.
The first time I deliberated for a whole day whether to allow it to die or to call out a registered gas fitter at vast expense. In the end I took the fire apart myself, taking great care to remember which part went where. The second time I knew exactly how to go about it and did the job within 20 minutes. Slightly regretted doing it so quickly, as the bird was considerably more active than the first one. A word or two of advice: arrange some netting around the fire area so that a sooty pigeon can't escape and make redecoration necessary (I actually had the sense to do that both times!), and try to grab it (gently) round the body, clamping the wings to its sides.
Don't grab the tail, as the whole lot will come away in your hand! This happened to the first one I rescued; I felt sorry for it, held it while it drank its fill, as it was very thirsty after a day in the chimney, then released it. Twenty minutes later it was back on top of the chimney and cooing down it. That was when I decided to have a ventilated cap put on each chimney!
Woodpigeons seem to like using chimneys to amplify their amatory cooing, and occasionally lean too far and overbalance - well, that's my hypothesis. :smile:

Best of luck with yours; please don't cook it alive, and I doubt that it will be able to fly out of its own accord.

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
[QUOTE 3052045, member: 259"]Time to call in the professionals.

1316573953_dastardly_and_muttley_ident_full.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Tried them once. Right set of cowboys, they never caught the pigeon.

Top Bottom