Pimp my Bookshelf

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot by John Muir

Recommend this even if you don't own an air cooled VW.

Typical quote :- turn the 13mm spanner anti-clockwise, if it slips off and you rap your knuckles, then chill man ! Don't curse, remember, have a beer and a draw and think, Karma !

If only Haynes manuals were written in the same spirit !!

The Long Goodbye - Raymond Chandler

papercorn2000

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. One of the best, most moving stories that I have ever read. I couldn't put it down.

All the more remarkable because the author was just out of her teens.

papercorn2000

Fnaar said:
Good call. I can really recommend 2 by Eric Newby:
Love and War in the Appennines
A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush.

Also Dubliners by James Joyce.

Good call - absoloutely hilarious. That's how travel should be done!

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
papercorn2000 said:
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. One of the best, most moving stories that I have ever read. I couldn't put it down.

All the more remarkable because the author was just out of her teens.
I would agree with that as well, I'm sure I've seen an old(ish) film that actually followed the book and showed Frankensteins monster was not the monster as depicted in Hammer movies.

Elmer Fudd said:
I would agree with that as well, I'm sure I've seen an old(ish) film that actually followed the book and showed Frankenstein was not the monster as depicted in Hammer movies.

Don't want to be a pedant but the monster is "the monster", Frankenstein is the scientist. It's the mistake that's always made.

Or perhaps you are referring to the good doctor after all? :sad:

As for one book to read? Very difficult - would probably go for John Steinbecks "Grapes of Wrath", Graham Greenes " Brighton Rock" or Kafkas "The Trial"

Top Bottom