Pinarello FP Uno

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Powely

Powely

I have looked at Boardman before. I was originally after a hybrid but not really looked properly at the road bikes. There's a Halfords near to my work too, so I'll go for a quick look tomorrow. Thanks

lejogger

Guru
Over-priced and under-specced... oh, and the forks look sh*t :biggrin:
take it you're referring to the Pinarello, not the Mekk with this comment?

I've very little experience of riding these bikes people are mentioning... I do have two Boardmans however and the road team carbon is superb value for money. It's just over £1100 at the minute reduced from £1300 and you might be able to get more discount. For example join British cycling (if you use the code on the garmin 200 thread you get membership for just over a tenner) and this will get you 10% off i believe, which brings it under a grand. full carbon, full 105, mavic wheels, Olympic gold medal winning frame. Not sure there's much else that beats that for under £1k.

OP
OP
Powely

Powely

I've very little experience of riding these bikes people are mentioning... I do have two Boardmans however and the road team carbon is superb value for money. It's just over £1100 at the minute reduced from £1300 and you might be able to get more discount. For example join British cycling (if you use the code on the garmin 200 thread you get membership for just over a tenner) and this will get you 10% off i believe, which brings it under a grand. full carbon, full 105, mavic wheels, Olympic gold medal winning frame. Not sure there's much else that beats that for under £1k.

Thanks for that. I'm off to Halfords today for sure...I'll ask about the extra 10%. Under a grand was my original budget so happy with that. Which Boardmans do you have? Any comments about them? You made any upgrades since buying them?

lejogger

Guru
Thanks for that. I'm off to Halfords today for sure...I'll ask about the extra 10%. Under a grand was my original budget so happy with that. Which Boardmans do you have? Any comments about them? You made any upgrades since buying them?
I have the 2010 team carbon which I love. It's the same frame as the 2011/12 with a different paint job and without the bb30 bottom bracket. Mine has SRAM rather than the 105 and ritchey finishing kit rather than boardman's own.

To be honest the only upgrade I've considered apart from the little things I've done like qr skewers is a new wheelset but that's only if I start doing more competitive riding than what I do now. At the minute it's just commutes, club runs and leisure rides.

The 11/12 version has the mavic aksium wheelset I think which won't require an immediate upgrade unless you plan on doing some serious racing.

My other Boardman is the Cx team. It's my daily workhorse for the commute, for touring and for all my winter riding.

Generally the Boardman bikes are accepted to be a very good brand and the products are always pretty much the around the best spec for the money... The only downside is dealing with Halfords. Now I've had no complaints myself. The Boardman mechanics at my local branch are very good, and although I'm learning to do most stuff myself I'll concede that I still need them to do some jobs for me and I'm happy to take both my bikes there. That said, you'll find others on here who've had some pretty poor experiences with their branches. Once you've bought the bike you're not tied in with them of course. Your LBS will be more than happy to carry out any jobs or servicing required.

HTH

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android

No idea what Sittingduck was refering to with that comment, but the forks on the Mekk look shoot to me. I have no idea if its an optical illusion due to the paint job but the forks look like they bend. Ugly arse things imho
Much rather take a boardman over that.

lejogger

Guru
No idea what Sittingduck was refering to with that comment, but the forks on the Mekk look s*** to me. I have no idea if its an optical illusion due to the paint job but the forks look like they bend. Ugly arse things imho
Much rather take a boardman over that.
It's just that the Pinarello definitely does have wobbly forks, but Sittingduck made his comment when the Mekk was being discussed so I wasn't sure which bike he was aiming the criticism at...
Either way, I'm with you - I'd get the Boardman over both.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've just nearly bought a Pinarello FP Uno... I only went into a LBS to do some research before I upgrade and got offered approx 20% off £1399 to £1100 for 'their last 2012 model in my size'. I've not committed as yet (secured overnight with refundable deposit) but am seriously thinking of biting the bullet and going for it. I've just read the review on Bikeradar etc and whilst I know it's relatively heavy and if I stretched my budget that little bit further I could buy a Carbon model it seems like an ok buy. Can anyone offer me some assurance or even another model to consider before I go ahead and part with my hard earnt? Thanks in advance.
I can absolutely assure you that people on cheap clunky Pinarellos are the butt of cruel humour.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I was talking about the Pinarello... the one with the waggly forks.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I have looked at Boardman before. I was originally after a hybrid but not really looked properly at the road bikes. There's a Halfords near to my work too, so I'll go for a quick look tomorrow. Thanks
very decent for the money, but you have to be darn sure about the build. And you might look at the £900 full carbon Decathlon road bike.

OP
OP
Powely

Powely

Looking like the Boardman is the best option then. Just hope I can get my deposit back...my LBS only does £6k Boardman's (a little out of my price range!)

Top Bottom