Pinarello treviso

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Troutman47

I JUST WANTED TO SEE WHAT YEAR AND IF REAL IS MY USED PINARELLO TREVISO. IT HAS CAMPY CROME DROPOUTS. BRAZED ON FRONT DERAILLEUR. COLUMBUS FRAME DECAL THOUGH ALL DECALS ARE IN ROUGH SHAPE. ON THE BB IT SAYS PINARELLO TREVISO ITALY 00208. BADGE IS RIVETED. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT. I PLAN ON ENTERING A VINTAGE BIKE RACE AND HAVE OTHER BIKES AS OPTIONS BUT CAME ACROSS THIS BIKE AND WANTED TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT IT. I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU GUYS.

Attachments

• IMG_7958.jpeg
    IMG_7958.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7961.jpeg
    IMG_7961.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7960.jpeg
    IMG_7960.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7959.jpeg
    IMG_7959.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 32

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice bike. Would research that frame number on the BB.
You say it has a Colombus sticker but don't show a pic

OP
OP
Troutman47

Troutman47

Welcome @Troutman47
Nice bike easiest way is to check various components for date codes hopefully they will all be from

Welcome @Troutman47
Nice bike easiest way is to check various components for date codes hopefully they will all be from same era.

So everything but the crank is shimano 600. The crank is a stronglight. The rear derailleur has a rash on it so it’s possible the crank might have been damaged. I am no pro but the shimano 600 all look to be of the same time.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Shimano 600 or tricolour as it's sometimes called ran from from 1982 to about '85. That's probably the nearest indication you'll get to it's age.

The internal cable routing for the rear brake has me thinking Montello rather than Treviso. Pinarello didn't make things easy by naming a model after their home town: the Treviso name is cast into most of their bottom bracket shells, irrespective of model!

All the Trevisos I've seen had cable guides on the top tube and were made in Columbus SL, while Montellos were internally-routed and made from SLX. It looks from the photos like there's no bridge between the chainstays which would also indicate Montello/SLX rather than Treviso. All Trevisos had a bridge, no Montellos did. These are good things, as the Montello was a step up and a very classy bike indeed.

Pinarello decals from the 80s are notoriously terrible, so don't be put off by their condition or absence (Though it would be nice if there were more of the Columbus decal on the downtube... can you get a close-up?) If anything, them not being there implies the bike's not been messed around with or badly refurbished.

If you fancy getting gynaelogical, another way to check is to strip the bottom bracket and have a feel around for ridges or splines in the seat tube. These would confirm Columbs SLX tubing and therefore a Montello.

Good luck! Keep us posted :smile:

OP
OP
Troutman47

Troutman47

The internal cable routing for the rear brake has me thinking Montello rather than Treviso. Pinarello didn't make things easy by naming a model after their home town: the Treviso name is cast into most of their bottom bracket shells, irrespective of model!

All the Trevisos I've seen had cable guides on the top tube and were made in Columbus SL, while Montellos were internally-routed and made from SLX. It looks from the photos like there's no bridge between the chainstays which would also indicate Montello/SLX rather than Treviso. All Trevisos had a bridge, no Montellos did. These are good things, as the Montello was a step up and a very classy bike indeed.

Pinarello decals from the 80s are notoriously terrible, so don't be put off by their condition or absence (Though it would be nice if there were more of the Columbus decal on the downtube... can you get a close-up?) If anything, them not being there implies the bike's not been messed around with or badly refurbished.

If you fancy getting gynaelogical, another way to check is to strip the bottom bracket and have a feel around for ridges or splines in the seat tube. These would confirm Columbs SLX tubing and therefore a Montello.

Good luck! Keep us posted :smile:

I will have to take it apart then. The Columbus decal reads LX and rubbed badly before the L but enough space for a possible S. Its too bad the groupset was probably purged. It does have Mavic hubs too. These are never easy. I have had a tough go at identifying other old projects. Still a blast to work with.

OP
OP
Troutman47

Troutman47

Oooh, exciting!
At the very least, you've got a really nice bike. I love old Pinarellos ^_^

Kind of a lucky find. I live in Switzerland and so many old euro bikes available as everyone is going gravel. Tons of cool bike brands I have never heard of. Definitely stuff I never saw in the states.

Top Bottom