Pinch p*ncture from an unfinished trench

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Femto

Thought I'd be lazy and cycle from work about 5 miles to one of the railway stations on the way home. - It looked like rain anyway.
While passing some people who obviously didn't expect me to be there, I went over an unfinished, unmarked trench.
I've been down that street many times before but only that way, so until this time, I'd never been on the other side of the road. My inner tube didn't like it much.
My own fault really as I could probably have slammed on the anchors and stayed on the left but as there was clearly nothing coming the other way, I went round. I just didn't expect the trench to be as...sharp-edged.
:whistle:

What's that website? Fillthathole.com?
**Edit** Found it: http://www.fillthathole.org.uk

All was not lost though as I had a spare tube with me and just enough time to replace it before the train arrived. If I hadn't, the short pull up the hill back home wouldn't have been so short.
[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SXwQnrc4vc[/media]

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's life.....

Had two flats in two consecutive rides on new Mich Pro Race tyres.... first hit a ruddy bit pot hole, second hit it again trying to avoid it.............. blooming trench across road.........:tongue:

OP
OP
Femto

Femto

Good for you. Either it's luck, or you must look where you're going. :biggrin:

I just played the clip back again. Hell's donkeys, do I sound Yorkshire!
oooh.gif

You really shouldn't have said that - the fairy has eyes and ears everywhere! :sad:

I know...It's like that film Final Destination where they cop it in the end....I still was in a vehicle which had a p*nct*re in Thailand...so it always gets you in the end.:whistle:

Still using the Greentyre Hackers? If so, that explains it.

On the rear,not on the front...So it cuts it down by quite a bit.

I've had two flats in two days on the way home. I noticed after the first on that the back tyre was looking a bit squared off. Luckily that flat occurred about 10 minutes walk from home (sorted the tub at home). Unfortunately yesterdays flat happened a few miles from home, on a quiet country road in the pouring rain! :rain:A quick swap with the go-fasters rear tyre has temporarily sorted it out. New tyres on order. On that note, I've ordered gatorskins (I get on well with them). I was tempted by the conti 4 seasons tyres, but are they really worth nearly twice the price of gatorskins!! :ohmy:

OP
OP
Femto

Femto

You use the past tense. This tells me you sorted it. Nicely done.
Having said that, my experience tells me that you can also change your statement to, "I will have another puncture." :blush:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Femto - serves you right for catching the train.

You should do what I do and pedal all the way (Shipley to South Leeds).

Paul_L

Über Member

much like me. Nab Wood to Clarence Dock.

what route do you take just out of interest?

i go straight down through Greengates and Calverley then over the RA at Rodley, up Rodley Lane and down L&B Road to Kirkstall and then all the way down Kirkstall Road then do a loop round the the back of the station.

It's nice going in as i'm on my bike before 6, but i must admit i don't enjoy coming back as it's so sodding busy. If there's a more pleasant route i'd be interested,

OP
OP
Femto

Femto

Yes, yes it does. :blush:

I usually cycle all the way home but it was my last day at work before I went on leave so I'd been flying around like decapitated poultry all day.
Therefore, I thought I'd "treat" myself to a train ride. The evening train from Leeds is so packed, it conjures up images like this:
46648842-9bc6-4fdc-ab60-27ab2aa8c1afHiRes.JPG

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I live at the bottom of Heaton (near the Bfd grammer School) > Town > Wakefield Road > Tong > Drighlington > Gildersome > New Farnley > along ring road to White Rose Centre.

Section between Tong & New Farnley is nice - quiet & semi-rural, nice smooth roads.

Occasionally I go up Queen's Road > Thornbury > Pudsey > Stanningley bypass and Ring Road - shorter but far more traffic.

I occasionally do Paul_L's route on the way home if weather is nice and I feel good - wouldn't do it as my normal commute though as adds about 7 miles to it.

Paul you could do the first route by going through Wortley - Here's a link to Bikely:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/384146

Top Bottom