Ping all electronics whizzkids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Helmet cams do not really give an accurate impression of the distance between bike and overtaking car. How do we know just how close a car has been when it overtakes, we have only a split second to judge the distance, and how good are we at accurately judging distance anyway?
Strikes me, what we need is a distance sensor (cheap of course!) something like an echo sounder on a boat, but mounted horizontally. These echo sounders have adjustable alarms, so if the overtaker was less than the pre set distance, say one metre, then the alarm would buzz. Readings permanently recorded on graph paper sounds impractical, maybe there is another way.:sad:
Over to you.:sad:

domtyler

Über Member
I think Pretty Boy Timmy was working on this.

yenrod

Once i had the momentum coming off a hill and what followed in the distance was some lights, there was a few cars in the queue but I was really shifting so what did I do - overtake them all at 30mph - I was in the other lane as there was nothing oncoming AND it was the safest t was class: bet as I wanted to wipe the cardrivers faces in it big time...

If only cardrivers would realise that the only place to be upon o/taking is THE OTHER LANE !

PrettyboyTim

Aha! Something like this, for instance? ;)

I haven't done much on it recently, but I did get a speech chip so that I could get it to say the distance things pass so that I wouldn't have to look down at the LCD every time. The idea was that I would have the speaker next to my ATC2K camera so that it would record the announced difference with the footage of the car passing.

Thing is, my camera broke so the incentive to continue with the project is reduced a bit.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
PrettyboyTim said:
Aha! Something like this, for instance? ;)

I haven't done much on it recently, but I did get a speech chip so that I could get it to say the distance things pass so that I wouldn't have to look down at the LCD every time. The idea was that I would have the speaker next to my ATC2K camera so that it would record the announced difference with the footage of the car passing.

Thing is, my camera broke so the incentive to continue with the project is reduced a bit.

Come on Tim, isn't time you got another cam;)

Top Bottom