1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ping Bigtallfatbloke

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by HJ, 23 May 2008.

1. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

2. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

Ha! Vee 'ave vays of making you valk ya!:ohmy:

3. Magna

Magna New Member

So what's the state of play here regarding drinking and cycling. My understanding is that you can't be drunk in charge of a bike- whatever that means exactly!?

4. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

I think the target of the crackdown is the bloke who cycles to the pub and gets slaughtered. The average cycle tourist will be doing his boozing after a day's cycling and so should have no problems.

5. goo_stewart

goo_stewart New Member

When I was 18 I was arrested for being drunk in charge of a bicycle in Germany. I was living there and was having a good night out in a bar about 3 Km from my home. The German police caught me after I was seen 'wobbling' on the road, but handed me over to the military police - who thankfully just shouted at me and then took me home. There was much laughter from the MPs after their roasting, my dad wasn't impressed.

I have never had a drink and driven any wheeled vehicle since.

6. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Easily spotted by the GB sticker on his rear mud guard...:biggrin:

7. andrew_s

andrew_s Veteran

You can be done for drunk in charge of a bike, but breathalysers, blood alcohol limits etc only apply to motor vehicles.
    To show you are drunk, it's the old fashion heel to toe along a white line, standing on one leg, and such like stuff.
    In practice, you are OK so long as you are riding a straight line down the edge of the road rather than wobbling about.

8. wallabyhunter

wallabyhunter New Member

Not certain (but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story) but in Aus if you are caught dui on a bike AND have a drivers license IT can be suspended by the offence.

On a much lighter note & this IS still on the statutes, there is an offence titled "Riding Furiously" maybe a hangover from the horse riding days, but still current!

24 days & 3 1/2 hours to go... ... but who's counting?
    www.letourgb.com