Ping Bigtallfatbloke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

Ha! Vee 'ave vays of making you valk ya!:ohmy:

Magna

So what's the state of play here regarding drinking and cycling. My understanding is that you can't be drunk in charge of a bike- whatever that means exactly!?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I think the target of the crackdown is the bloke who cycles to the pub and gets slaughtered. The average cycle tourist will be doing his boozing after a day's cycling and so should have no problems.

goo_stewart

When I was 18 I was arrested for being drunk in charge of a bicycle in Germany. I was living there and was having a good night out in a bar about 3 Km from my home. The German police caught me after I was seen 'wobbling' on the road, but handed me over to the military police - who thankfully just shouted at me and then took me home. There was much laughter from the MPs after their roasting, my dad wasn't impressed.

I have never had a drink and driven any wheeled vehicle since.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Andy in Sig said:
I think the target of the crackdown is the bloke who cycles to the pub and gets slaughtered....

Easily spotted by the GB sticker on his rear mud guard...:biggrin:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Magna said:
So what's the state of play here regarding drinking and cycling. My understanding is that you can't be drunk in charge of a bike- whatever that means exactly!?

You can be done for drunk in charge of a bike, but breathalysers, blood alcohol limits etc only apply to motor vehicles.
To show you are drunk, it's the old fashion heel to toe along a white line, standing on one leg, and such like stuff.
In practice, you are OK so long as you are riding a straight line down the edge of the road rather than wobbling about.

wallabyhunter

Not certain (but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story) but in Aus if you are caught dui on a bike AND have a drivers license IT can be suspended by the offence.

On a much lighter note & this IS still on the statutes, there is an offence titled "Riding Furiously" maybe a hangover from the horse riding days, but still current!

24 days & 3 1/2 hours to go... ... but who's counting?
www.letourgb.com

Top Bottom