Ping: Military chaps(esses)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graham56

Guru
RM used to do a heavy load test,that was carrying 70lbs over 12mile in around 4 1/2 hrs. Don't know if it still practiced and not sure on the time, the mind dims with age:sad:, i'm sure some bright soul will correct me:smile:.
As User76 was saying earlier it buggers your knees!

graham56

Guru
Vikeonabike said:
Noodley ....Look for the one in the white vest, with the crossed clubs on his chest.....His Bergan has a pillow in it!

Shhhhh, i think ChrisZ is a club swinger.:sad::biggrin::biggrin:

C

chillyuk

I'm a former French Legionnaire from the 60/70's.

Had I known how cushy the British army had it I would have joined up at home instead of going to France.

C

chillyuk

User76 said:
The British Army probably wouldn't have had you, due to your lack of education and criminal record;)

Their loss:smile:

People like me made ideal soldiers. You wont see an ex con crying because he is homesick, and we were (in those days) used to obeying orders. The army was, a couple of years ago, going into youth offender institutions and looking to recruit young men who weren't too criminalised.

By the way, last time I got into trouble was in 1966, and I am now 63, so I am not all bad!!

C

chillyuk

User76 said:
Just to clarify, I was joking:blush:

The last thing I need is a few ex-Legionnaires popping around, smelling of garlic, cheese and drinking cold coffee, smoking Gitanes and refusing to go away until I killed them all:ohmy:

Yes, but we can do all of that at the same time as earning our pay in combat.

We used to be issued two packs of Caporal cigarettes a day, and this from an army that prides itself on the fitness and strength of its troops. Coffee is for breakfast, the rest of the day was wine or beer. How things have changed.
Half way through a long march (100 miles plus with full kit) we would probably stand still and let you kill us :biggrin:

gavintc

Guru
graham56 said:
RM used to do a heavy load test,that was carrying 70lbs over 12mile in around 4 1/2 hrs. Don't know if it still practiced and not sure on the time, the mind dims with age:sad:, i'm sure some bright soul will correct me:smile:.
As User76 was saying earlier it buggers your knees!

If my memory serves me correctly, it was 30 miles over Dartmoor carrying about 70lbs in 6 hours. It was a complete b*****d.

graham56

Guru
No, not the 30 miler

Top Bottom