Pinnacle Expede

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alun

Guru
I was thinking of getting one of these (with drop handlebars)for mainly tarmac, but also significant canal bank/sustrans track use. I've already got a MTB for "proper" offroad stuff. Has anybody got one/ridden one, what do you think of it?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Reviewed on Bike Radar recently;

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/cyclo-cross/product/expede-10-08-28895

If you're after a 'cross bike specifically, it's worth looking around a bit, as there are quite a few on the market now.

OP
OP
Alun

Alun

Guru
Thanks John,

I was just thinking of a road bike that could take to the paths as well, and hopefully give a comfortable ride.

I won't be going to a cyclocross event, other than as a spectator.

I hope to have a closer look at an expede this weekend.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
There's been some discussion about this (I think mainly in the commuting/cyclo-cross forums).

A point I remember being made that might be worth considering is that "true" cross bikes are designed to be ridden for an hour at a time, and might not be all that comfy as a road bike to do distance on. What you might be thinking of is something along the lines of a road bike with clearance for bigger tyres, and lower gearing, in which case a tourer might fit the bill better.

If you have the budget for the Expede, you've a fair amount of choice, and could look at something like Planet X' Kaffenback frame, built to the spec you want...

If you don't mind not having drop bars, there's a flat bar build of Planet X' "Uncle John" cross bike available on Chain Reaction cycles for £599 that could be worth a look;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24233

cyberpete

I just bought a 2009 Expede 1.0 (2 wks ago) after riding genesis mtb. Prefer it to be honest. Gun metal grey suits as it seems to go like a bullet on or off road. Carbon rear stays and carbon front forks make it well comfy. 21 llbs 20 gears - enough to make you fly. Also has 2 water bottle mounts and can take full length mud guards. Canti brakes makes it stop hard. but the best bit ? Massivevly extendable stem so you can hugely adjust handle bar height. Went thru richmond Park like a rocket last weekend. The Expede 1.0 is a fast piece of kit. I added a suspension seat post cos I am a wuss for comfort but I love the bike geometry to be honest. Feels real.

colcazal

Hi,

I recently bought a Pinnacle Aeos Carbon 2, I know its not an expede but just to let you know that I am very happy with the pinnacle brand. Great value for money and A well thought out bike.

Colcazal

Top Bottom