1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinnacle Expede

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Alun, 18 Jun 2008.

1. Alun

Alun Veteran

I was thinking of getting one of these (with drop handlebars)for mainly tarmac, but also significant canal bank/sustrans track use. I've already got a MTB for "proper" offroad stuff. Has anybody got one/ridden one, what do you think of it?

2. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Reviewed on Bike Radar recently;

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/cyclo-cross/product/expede-10-08-28895

If you're after a 'cross bike specifically, it's worth looking around a bit, as there are quite a few on the market now.

3. OP
    OP
    Alun

Alun Veteran

Thanks John,

I was just thinking of a road bike that could take to the paths as well, and hopefully give a comfortable ride.

I won't be going to a cyclocross event, other than as a spectator.

I hope to have a closer look at an expede this weekend.

4. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

There's been some discussion about this (I think mainly in the commuting/cyclo-cross forums).

A point I remember being made that might be worth considering is that "true" cross bikes are designed to be ridden for an hour at a time, and might not be all that comfy as a road bike to do distance on. What you might be thinking of is something along the lines of a road bike with clearance for bigger tyres, and lower gearing, in which case a tourer might fit the bill better.

If you have the budget for the Expede, you've a fair amount of choice, and could look at something like Planet X' Kaffenback frame, built to the spec you want...

If you don't mind not having drop bars, there's a flat bar build of Planet X' "Uncle John" cross bike available on Chain Reaction cycles for £599 that could be worth a look;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24233

5. cyberpete

cyberpete Active Member

I just bought a 2009 Expede 1.0 (2 wks ago) after riding genesis mtb. Prefer it to be honest. Gun metal grey suits as it seems to go like a bullet on or off road. Carbon rear stays and carbon front forks make it well comfy. 21 llbs 20 gears - enough to make you fly. Also has 2 water bottle mounts and can take full length mud guards. Canti brakes makes it stop hard. but the best bit ? Massivevly extendable stem so you can hugely adjust handle bar height. Went thru richmond Park like a rocket last weekend. The Expede 1.0 is a fast piece of kit. I added a suspension seat post cos I am a wuss for comfort but I love the bike geometry to be honest. Feels real.

6. colcazal

colcazal New Member

Hi,

I recently bought a Pinnacle Aeos Carbon 2, I know its not an expede but just to let you know that I am very happy with the pinnacle brand. Great value for money and A well thought out bike.

Colcazal