Pinnacle Ramin --> City Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

I'm currently in the process of turning my Pinnacle Ramin rigid 29er into a city/gravel bike for my girlfriend. I've stuck some Panaracer Gravelkings in a 38 on (look a bit weird from the front fork, look great from the side). And will be putting on an 11 36 Altus drivetrain, with some old Maguras.

I could do with some advice on bars - originally I was going to go for some of the On One Bullmoose bars - but they look to have the same reach as a standard 35mm stem/flat bar combo, and I reckon I could do to bring the reach in a little. She's 5 5 with long legs, the frame in a medium is rated 5 7 upwards. I've been looking at the On-One Mary or the Velo Orange Milan/Postino/Tourist. Has anyone got any recommendations or used any of these before?

The frame might possibly get stripped and left with a raw finish (it will be used as a commuter in Manchester mostly I think, don't want it to look too spendy). Most of the parts will be bits I've found/have had for a while. If I do strip it, then preferably the bars, stem, and seat post will be chrome, so chrome options will be appreciated. Recommends for decent value stems would be good too. Trying to keep this build as cheap as possible after the bike has spent a while in storage/ridden by a friend means that I'll be replacing most of the drivetrain.

Does anyone have any recommendations for frame stripping around Leeds? If I cant get some decals then I wouldn't mind getting it done and lacquered properly for a decent price.

She doesn't know it yet but although it will mostly be a commuter, I'm hoping to get her bikepacking and doing gravel rides on it. As was intended for a frame like this.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Any pics?

IMG_20200905_170559.jpg

Only image I have on my phone at the moment - testing tyres/sizing.

Drago

Legendary Member
Are you using the latest Altus shadow style rear mech, the X shaped one? Hateful things, the outer plate is plastic and far too flexible and gearchanges are imprecise and mushy as a result. Spend a few extra pence on the Acera, which is all metal and in a different league performance wise.

Are you using the latest Altus shadow style rear mech, the X shaped one? Hateful things, the outer plate is plastic and far too flexible and gearchanges are imprecise and mushy as a result. Spend a few extra pence on the Acera, which is all metal and in a different league performance wise.
Will be yeah, I think one came on the bike (or I've acquired one somewhere) so will be sticking with it just as I already have it. They do seem to be vastly over complicated.

12boy

Guru
I 've used a VO Milan bar and I like it and a Porteur bar from VO very well. The Milan dos bring your hands back and the 45 (or so) degree angle of the grips is very kind, at least to my hands. They are fairly narrow bars which do well for smaller folks. I also like flipped North Road and Moustache bars a lot.

I 've used a VO Milan bar and I like it and a Porteur bar from VO very well. The Milan dos bring your hands back and the 45 (or so) degree angle of the grips is very kind, at least to my hands. They are fairly narrow bars which do well for smaller folks. I also like flipped North Road and Moustache bars a lot.
Yeah I like the look of the Moustache/North Road and Porteur, but think they might be just too far back. I can't imagine this bike will ever do any proper technical riding but think Milan is probably the best bet for a good balance, and not too weird a position. Challenge is finding a 40/60mm chrome stem to match.

12boy

Guru
Enclosing a couple pics of my Xootr Swift with Milan bars...got a 120mm stem on there and you can see it justs gets the hands to the same forwardness as tge stem. You may not need as short a stem as 40 mm. Those bars are very comfy with E
20200804_145556.jpg

rgons.

Attachments

• IMG_20190915_114630.jpg
    IMG_20190915_114630.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 3
Enclosing a couple pics of my Xootr Swift with Milan bars...got a 120mm stem on there and you can see it justs gets the hands to the same forwardness as tge stem. You may not need as short a stem as 40 mm. Those bars are very comfy with E View attachment 545932

rgons.
Ace, thanks for that image! They do come back further than it looks on WhatBars.com. Think a 60 might do it. Going to get her sat on it with those tyres in and drivetrain on to see what the reach looks like and go from there I think

Top Bottom