Pins and needles/ numbness in hands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rickh01

Über Member
I have only just got into road biking (4 months) but have noticed that now my hands are getting pins and needles in them. Does anyone know what this is through?

MikeG

Guru
How old are you? Have you had any neck or shoulder injuries? What sort of handlebars do you have (flats, drops)?

Taking the medical stuff as being OK, then it is most likely to be a positional issue (get yourself a bike fit, or talk to someone knowledgeable) and get your bike adjusted properly. It can also be through pressure on the hands, and that is why cyclists wear padded gloves, and some have padded tape.

You're not alone. I'll bet there isn't a cyclist here who hasn't experienced it at one time or another. I suffer badly, as a result of old neck and shoulder injuries, and every 5 miles or so I have to sit up and shake my hands vigorously to get rid of the pins and needles.

Mike

OP
OP
rickh01

rickh01

Über Member
I'm 40, and have never had a neck injury or shoulder injury . I have drop handle bars. I do wear gloves but the pins and needles is doing my head in as I have rode mtb' for years and have no problems. This has only started while getting into road biking, but it is off putting to say the least

RebornBumbler

I have the same problem, but it was worse before I moved the saddle back a touch, raised the steering a bit and fitted a shorter stem.
Check out the various articles and videos about "Bike Fitting" if you haven't already.

You may just have a jangly ride though- especially if the bike is all aluminium.

Finally, make sure that your gloves and bar tape aren't part of the problem, and that you're not just gripping too hard.
Good luck!

Cringles

I had this when I first switched to a Road bike with drop bars. For me it was a case of me being to tense & gripping the handlebars to tight, or not moving my hands enough. I used to have terrible habits, clenching my jaw was a weird one, never even knew I was doing it.

Still get pins & needles in my toes, but currently trying out height & angle of my seat to fix it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have the same problem, but it was worse before I moved the saddle back a touch, raised the steering a bit and fitted a shorter stem.
Check out the various articles and videos about "Bike Fitting" if you haven't already.

You may just have a jangly ride though- especially if the bike is all aluminium.

Finally, make sure that your gloves and bar tape aren't part of the problem, and that you're not just gripping too hard.
Good luck!
I have a trapped nerve in my neck, even though my bike fit is ok if my nerves are playing up i do get tingling even off the bike, i found the specialized phat bar tape helps to reduce buzz to a comfortable level and i do have an aluminum bike which is fairly stiff .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I had this when I first switched to a Road bike with drop bars. For me it was a case of me being to tense & gripping the handlebars to tight, or not moving my hands enough. I used to have terrible habits, clenching my jaw was a weird one, never even knew I was doing it.

Still get pins & needles in my toes, but currently trying out height & angle of my seat to fix it.
Could be cleat set back on the shoe, i moved my cleats back a bit and it solved that issue for me.

Cringles

Could be cleat set back on the shoe, i moved my cleats back a bit and it solved that issue for me.

I do have the cleats as far back as they can go, & it's helped. Not 100%, but it's not as bad.

Cringles

Maybe you need shims or footbeds ? apparently a large proportion of people ride with rotated angles ( like wearing your heel lop sided ) which can give hoot foot
Worth a try. I know I I've cleared arch pain from walking with insoles, but there only 3/4 length. Never thought to try full support for the shoes. Hopefully a off the shelf one can help. Bit expensive getting a custom mold.

Effyb4

Veteran
I've got a similar problem with tingling and numbness in my hands. I'm going for a bike fit tomorrow. Fingers crossed it will work

Effyb4

Veteran
I have new narrower handlebars and a shorter stem. He also made the handlebars a little higher. He seems to think this should solve the problem. He certainly sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

vickster

Legendary Member
Interesting, swapping to narrower bars solved tendonitis in my thumb, I was rolling my wrist in and putting pressure on bits that didn't appreciate it!

Top Bottom