Pins & needles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martman

I would be gratefull for some advice

I went out today, not far just around 6 miles using my newly fitted shimano double sided pedlels, one side normal the other clipless.
The problem is that I got pins and needles in the ball of my right foot using the clipless side, wearing speaalized thaio shoes. I have set the clip as far forward as possible, what difference does it make if I move the clip position?

Thanks

david k

Hi
can make a differecne mate, you need to play around with different positions and angles etc. see if it remains

Robwiz

Regular
Pins and needles in feet (or hands) is an indication that the weight distribution between contact points isn't right. Try checking the saddle height is set so that your legs are fully extended (but the knees don't lock out) at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Also, the saddle fore/aft setting.

Inthecup

I get pins and needles in my hands if I haven't ridden for a while. I went out today and spent 2 miles wiggling my fingers to try and get the blood running. It seems to come and go.

Today was the worst I've had. Fingers were totally numb at one point and even changing gears was hard. Could this be due to my setup? I've tried moving bars and saddle but still seems to happen.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are they well padded gel gloves? Sounds like you may have too much weight on your hands and are compressing the nerves? Were your fingers cold?

tigger

Über Member
I would be gratefull for some advice

I went out today, not far just around 6 miles using my newly fitted shimano double sided pedlels, one side normal the other clipless.
The problem is that I got pins and needles in the ball of my right foot using the clipless side, wearing speaalized thaio shoes. I have set the clip as far forward as possible, what difference does it make if I move the clip position?

Thanks

Move your cleats back so they are under or better still slightly behind the ball of you foot. Make sure your shoes are not done up too tight either. These are the main culprits of pins and needles. Could be one or both. Failing that then it's. matter of playing around with insoles, but try the others first.

Edit - I'm assuming the shoes fit properly? Too tight in either width or length and your toes won't be able to spread properly either

Inthecup

Are they well padded gel gloves? Sounds like you may have too much weight on your hands and are compressing the nerves? Were your fingers cold?
Yes started off really cold. Be lucky if it was pushing 4 degrees!

Gloves aren't padded, just thin as got them in the summer.

vickster

Legendary Member
You may also want to look at some better padded tape, or you can wrap and old inner tube around the bars under the tape...just remember to remove the valve ;)

Top Bottom