Pipe leaking in wall?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Contact your home insurance provider and ask whether TRACE AND ACCESS is covered in the policy - most policies do.
Assuming so, a chap turns up with some clever gizmos and pinpoints the source of the leak.
I’ve used this service myself, to find a leaking central heating pipe. The service is free if covered.
It’s in the insurance providers interest to find and solve these leaks before they turn into something really expensive.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A lead pipe in an old house or cheap copper in a newer house can develop a pinhole. If your copper pipes have little green spots of impurity on them, it's a ticking time bomb.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Contact your home insurance provider and ask whether TRACE AND ACCESS is covered in the policy - most policies do.
Assuming so, a chap turns up with some clever gizmos and pinpoints the source of the leak.
I’ve used this service myself, to find a leaking central heating pipe. The service is free if covered.
It’s in the insurance providers interest to find and solve these leaks before they turn into something really expensive.
Didn't know about this. Thanks.
What happens if they find no evidence of the issue being a pipe? Do you have to pay them?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've seen a long narrow damp patch on the wall of a cafe where there was a mains pipe under the plaster. Just condensation.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Could be rising damp from the location you gave . Do you have a solid drive going right up to the house or maybe a brick step ? That could be bridging the damp course .

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I have a similar problem in my hall. Just under the radiator the wallpaper started peeling off & I discovered a crack with odd-smelling damp mortar in it. So I cleaned it out, filled it in and pained over it with that paint which seals dampness. Now on the opposite side of the wall in the lounge, wallpaper down near corner of couch is displaying same signs.

Last year I took the cover of my L-shaped IKEA couch to clean it. Luckily, the couch comes apart in two sections. I noted behind the couch there is a tiny bit of copper pipe in a hole in the wall. I think the previous occupants removed a radiator from the wall but perhaps failed to seal the pipe properly. I'm going to get it fixed when I completely redecorate the lounge later this year.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I have a similar problem in my hall. Just under the radiator the wallpaper started peeling off & I discovered a crack with odd-smelling damp mortar in it. So I cleaned it out, filled it in and pained over it with that paint which seals dampness. Now on the opposite side of the wall in the lounge, wallpaper down near corner of couch is displaying same signs.

Last year I took the cover of my L-shaped IKEA couch to clean it. Luckily, the couch comes apart in two sections. I noted behind the couch there is a tiny bit of copper pipe in a hole in the wall. I think the previous occupants removed a radiator from the wall but perhaps failed to seal the pipe properly. I'm going to get it fixed when I completely redecorate the lounge later this year.

Which sealing paint did you use? ...and did it work?

byegad

Legendary Member
My last house had a bulge in the wall which gradually, over 20 yrs, grew. On digging out the plaster there was a weeping copper pipe, the riser for the hot water system.

keithmac

Guru
In our house the main water supply pipe was built into the front wall (god knows whos bright idea that was!).

Had to re fit a new cold supply one Christmas due to it springing a leak. Floor boards up in my son's bedroom finding the other end of it..

Levo-Lon

Guru
No pipe but plenty damp...
My floor at 80 yrs of age.

IMG_20180722_172611.jpg

Top Bottom