Pissed off with jacket !!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I find it's only the chest and lower neck that need to be kept warm - a gilet is perfect and light.

GrasB

Veteran
It's better to be slightly to warm than slightly too cold. For this reason I don't ditch the knee warmers or 3/4 longs until it's almost 20C. Also my arm warmers stay on until it's that sort of temp too. When I do this I find I'm far less effected by long periods of riding in prolonged shadow than other riders.

No, no, no and thrice no!!!! Arm warmers are just a way of getting cyclists to part with more money. They serve no purpose. If it's cold, wear a long sleeve top, if it's not, don't! UK temperatures don't vary that much eg today starting at 11C and rising to 19C, short sleeves.
thumbsup.png
Take one windproof jersey, add lightweight jersey & arm warmers underneath & with a compression base layer that little lot is good down to about 7C. For the return journey If it doesn't get over 15C just use the jacket on the way home, if it's over that then use the jersey & arm warmers... unless it's getting much over 20C at which point you ditch the arm warmers as well.

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's better to be slightly to warm than slightly too cold. For this reason I don't ditch the knee warmers or 3/4 longs until it's almost 20C. Also my arm warmers stay on until it's that sort of temp too. When I do this I find I'm far less effected by long periods of riding in prolonged shadow than other riders.

Take one windproof jersey, add lightweight jersey & arm warmers underneath & with a compression base layer that little lot is good down to about 7C. For the return journey If it doesn't get over 15C just use the jacket on the way home, if it's over that then use the jersey & arm warmers... unless it's getting much over 20C at which point you ditch the arm warmers as well.

I'd rather be slightly too cold than too warm. If I'm too warm, I overheat and struggle to take on enough fluid to keep the cramps at bay.

VamP

Banned
+1 for erring on the side of being a little too cold. Easy enough to compensate for by pedalling a little harder.

I am another one who has been in shorts and SS jersey since April. Just man up for the first 5 minutes or so, it's better than overheating for the remainder (45 minutes) of the journey.

Top Bottom