Pizzas, in particular in a Pizzeria or home delivery.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I like Asdas freshly made pizzas, they are very nice and a medium one can be made upto your requirements for less than £4.00, that would easily serve 3/4 with oven chips and a big salad etc.
For the main supermarkets the pizza market is worth over a million per day.
I dont buy fast food from takeaways apart from chips from the chippy about once a year. So I cant comment on the quality etc. But I've been shocked at how much these are when I've seen the leaflets.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The big issue is cheese stuffed crust!

You can have my share^_^. I prefer thin n crispy.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I would beware the sort of generic late night takeaway places. There's a place in Newcastle, Munchies, which was the venue of choice for the miscreants I hung about with in Uni. Dirt cheap, and it turns out there was a reason for that...

Environmental health called round one day, and discovered they were using dog food on their bolognese pizza. I'd had one a couple of weeks previous to their visit. Grim.
I reckon anyone who orders a bolognese pizza needs to be punished. Making them eat dogfood seems reasonable at best, lenient at worst. :okay:

AndyRM

XOXO
I reckon anyone who orders a bolognese pizza needs to be punished. Making them eat dogfood seems reasonable at best, lenient at worst. :okay:

Thing is, they were bloody delicious too. Clearly dogs eat better than people.

Not even the most heinous pizza I'd order. Where I used to live there was a little place around the corner and their pizza was unreal. Fresh dough, ingredients, the lot. My standard was pepperoni, with grilled peppers and kebab meat, like they do properly in Europe. Heart attack in a box. Lovely.

Eventually I noticed they had a really high turnover of staff, turns out the place was a front for illegal immigration and they got shut down.

steverob

Guru
For me, the most reliable chain pizza restaurant is Pizza Express. I don't know if I'd rank it up there with the absolute best pizza I've ever had (I'd say my top ones probably all came from independent places) but I've never had anything worse than "pretty good" from them and usually it's "very good" - they always seem to have a decent minimum standard (too many other chains are so variable - you can get great one week, barely edible the next). Bit of a shame really that they closed so many branches over Covid and never re-opened them, including the two most local to me, meaning I only really can visit them if I'm eating in London now.

Domino's I have a strange relationship with. Sometimes, and I can't exactly explain why, I'll really crave something from them. But it's not me craving a pizza - if it was, I'd go to a proper pizza restaurant or make my own. It must be something about the exact combination of salt, fat, sugar and grease that they use (plus one of their chicken sides is actually quite good) that my body decides it needs once in a blue moon. At that point I'll go scouring various websites to look for codes and offers because there's no way I'm paying full price for it! I chalk it up to the same thing where sometimes I really fancy a McDonalds even though I know there are far better burgers out there - sometimes you just want a specific taste that can't be easily replicated elsewhere.

AndyRM

XOXO
For me, the most reliable chain pizza restaurant is Pizza Express. I don't know if I'd rank it up there with the absolute best pizza I've ever had (I'd say my top ones probably all came from independent places) but I've never had anything worse than "pretty good" from them and usually it's "very good" - they always seem to have a decent minimum standard (too many other chains are so variable - you can get great one week, barely edible the next). Bit of a shame really that they closed so many branches over Covid and never re-opened them, including the two most local to me, meaning I only really can visit them if I'm eating in London now.

Domino's I have a strange relationship with. Sometimes, and I can't exactly explain why, I'll really crave something from them. But it's not me craving a pizza - if it was, I'd go to a proper pizza restaurant or make my own. It must be something about the exact combination of salt, fat, sugar and grease that they use (plus one of their chicken sides is actually quite good) that my body decides it needs once in a blue moon. At that point I'll go scouring various websites to look for codes and offers because there's no way I'm paying full price for it! I chalk it up to the same thing where sometimes I really fancy a McDonalds even though I know there are far better burgers out there - sometimes you just want a specific taste that can't be easily replicated elsewhere.

I'd kind of forgotten about Pizza Express! Totally agree that they're very good quality. You can get their pizza in supermarkets, not sure if it's specific to one chain, but might be an option if you're missing them!

Alex321

Veteran
We had both takeaways and eat in at Pizza Hut in Merthyr Tydfil a few times during the time when we were moving house and were doing work on the old one, with no oven available.

They were OK, but not cheap for what they were.

I've had dominos a few times too and quite enjoyed them. Not too bad if you get one of their offers - does anybody ever pay full price for one?

Don't be taken in by the pictures shown on delivery platforms. They are all stock photos and often don't bear any resemblance to what is received.

Top Bottom