Pizzas, in particular in a Pizzeria or home delivery.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
This is not a 'I make my own Pizzas" thread.
1st off....it is many many years since we bought one in what is loosely called a pizzeria (think it was in the 80s).
They seem to be popular.
We get, maybe 2 or 3 leaflets per week from local people claiming theirs are fresh made.
What they have in common is the price which seem VERY expensive to me.
I tend to buy from Aldi, 2 quid and add whatever I want eg mushrooms, tomato, extra cheese.
So...........
Does anyone buy those Pizzeria ones ?
Are they really worth it?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
No, they aren't Dave. IMHO Dominos in particular is a triumph of marketing over product quality. Stick to the ones from Aldi etc, which are very good.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Aldi premium ones are very good, £4 or so and more than enough for two people. You could pick up a 'pizza' base from a supermarket and make your own, passata, grated mozzarella, italian herbs, then add veg/meat. Dominoes are OK, but not viable for two people - still expensive, but you can usually get two pizzas for the price of one - we occasionally order some, but usually as a 'treat' for the adult kids.

My lad did deliveries for a while, and the number of people that wuld just order a single pizza was crazy (given cost) as it's as expensive to order two as it is to get one.

Local pizza places can be OK, but again expensive. Morrisions do some nice premium pizzas, as do they sell the plain bases from the deli - buy a pack of two, and freeze one. Saves the mess of making your own base !

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Dominoes pizzas are the most underwhelming over priced slice of disappointment i've ever experienced.

Many local pizza places are far superior and less expensive. I had a hot & spicy from one last night, and will be having the rest as breakfast in a moment.

Comparing a freshly made pizza from a pizza place with one bought from a supermarket is silly. I can buy battered cod and a bag of spuds for a few quid from Aldi and make fish & chips at home, or go to the chippy and get something far superior for three or four times more.

AndyRM

XOXO
Just make sure you don't order from Dominos in Rhyl...

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-worst-customer-experience-i-have-ever-had.133713/

I don't mind Dominos, but only their thin bases, the 'normal' ones are far too stodgy. Of what I'd call the 'Big 3' including Papa John's and Pizza Hut I'd say they're probably the best - Papa John's is incredibly greasy, and Pizza Hut is so salty my mouth is puckering just thinking about it. They are all over priced, but they usually have deals which are pretty good.

If I'm getting a pizza round these parts, Elder and Wolf are my go to: absolutely phenomenal, proper wood fired oven etc. I also really like Di Meo's who do traditional Italian pizza and great gelato.

But as others have said you can make something equally delicious for a fraction of the cost and it'll probably take less time than waiting around for delivery. Most recently, bought a fresh mozzarella base from Asda, added sun dried tomatoes and rocket. About £4 all in, took 20 minutes and was absolutely delicious.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just make sure you don't order from Dominos in Rhyl...

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-worst-customer-experience-i-have-ever-had.133713/

I don't mind Dominos, but only their thin bases, the 'normal' ones are far too stodgy. Of what I'd call the 'Big 3' including Papa John's and Pizza Hut I'd say they're probably the best - Papa John's is incredibly greasy, and Pizza Hut is so salty my mouth is puckering just thinking about it. They are all over priced, but they usually have deals which are pretty good.

If I'm getting a pizza round these parts, Elder and Wolf are my go to: absolutely phenomenal, proper wood fired oven etc. I also really like Di Meo's who do traditional Italian pizza and great gelato.

But as others have said you can make something equally delicious for a fraction of the cost and it'll probably take less time than waiting around for delivery. Most recently, bought a fresh mozzarella base from Asda, added sun dried tomatoes and rocket. About £4 all in, took 20 minutes and was absolutely delicious.

S'okay, there is one in Prestatyn, and a really nice independant Pizza place called Efes !

AndyRM

XOXO
I would beware the sort of generic late night takeaway places. There's a place in Newcastle, Munchies, which was the venue of choice for the miscreants I hung about with in Uni. Dirt cheap, and it turns out there was a reason for that...

Environmental health called round one day, and discovered they were using dog food on their bolognese pizza. I'd had one a couple of weeks previous to their visit. Grim.

presta

Guru
I just buy mine from Tesco. I don't have any issue with the taste or quality, it's cooking them that's the problem, whatever I do, the middle is still at salmonella degrees by the time the periphery is like concrete hard enough to break your teeth. Hot & fast, cool & slow, on a rack, on a tray, from thawed, from frozen, even according to the instructions on the box, nothing makes any difference. I think they need to be laid on a hot slab to cook evenly, not immersed in hot air.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Aldis pizza and cooked in the outdoor pizza oven…..way better than anything dominos can deliver

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I just buy mine from Tesco. I don't have any issue with the taste or quality, it's cooking them that's the problem, whatever I do, the middle is still at salmonella degrees by the time the periphery is like concrete hard enough to break your teeth. Hot & fast, cool & slow, on a rack, on a tray, from thawed, from frozen, even according to the instructions on the box, nothing makes any difference. I think they need to be laid on a hot slab to cook evenly, not immersed in hot air.

Never had that problem with any eg Aldi frozen or Tesco/Sainsbobs deli.
A tip I read a few days ago was to cook for longer on a lower heat then wack it up for 5 minutes at the end.

Stephenite

Membå
Dominos is also disappointing in Norway.

The gf makes a great pizza from scratch, and i've been known to make them on the bbq. But i'm very happy with a shop bought frozen ham and cheese pizza and then add red or green pepper and extra cheese, and chili.

Top Bottom