Place Names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willd

Veteran
I thought it'd be vaguely interesting to record place names where I've been and how they're derived. It might also be interesting to see regional variations :smile:

Our ancestors in this part of the country must have been pretty lazy, and by far the most popular is "ton."
ton / tun / tone - (Old English) - an enclosure; a farmstead; a village; an estate

"Priors" records the fact the village belonged to St Mary's Priory in Coventry. "Marston" combines the Old English words Merse referring to a lake which formed a fishery in the early history of the village and tun meaning a settlement.

1696850785641.png

Two tons of Tons

Well 214 so far...

1696850455635.png

I live in Bilton:

1696865597558.png

and you don't really want to know why witches are often depicted as flying on broomsticks :ohmy:

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
The "ton" is also of course the original source of "town", although town has later come to mean a rather larger settlement.

Here in Wales, I think the most common place name prefix/suffix is Llan - meaning church.

OP
OP
Willd

Willd

Veteran
Googling suggests something along the lines of:

This is an unusually well-recorded example of a widely distributed local name derived from the OE word unpanc , literally 'ill-will' or 'displeasure.'In OE literature the word generally appears in the genitival phrase his unþances , 'against his will.' When used as a place-name, the word denoted a piece of land held 'against the will' or 'without the consent' of its lawful owner. In most cases it meant originally a squatter's holding.

Unthank from Anglo-Saxon unþanc, meaning a squatter farm :okay:

OP
OP
Willd

Willd

Veteran
ford - (Old English) a shallow place in a river where you can cross easily

Currently at number two with 37 entries.

fording place of the River Sib - more like a little brook today :smile:
1698842087663.png

Also went through Shutford, which is on a tributary of the Sor Brook: Its early name in the twelfth century – Schiteford – underwent a wide variety of changes before reaching its present form, and according to the Oxford Dictionary of Place Names, meant ‘the archer’s ford’ (from the Old English scytta = archer), or Scytta’s Ford (from the name of a person)

1698841972782.png

1698842476298.png

pawl

Legendary Member
Just had a quick Google re Desford .Dates back to AngloSaxon No evidence it’s name is based on a ford as it is on a hill
The only ford I know is on the bridle path between Desford and Kirkby Mallory and that is aprox am mile out of Desford

OP
OP
Willd

Willd

Veteran
I guess settlements move over time, bridges replace fords etc. , There are several water-courses nearby. I'm far from an expert and have been using the University of Nottingham's key to English place-names & that has a lot of "uncertains" in it. :okay:

1698848826127.png

OP
OP
Willd

Willd

Veteran
by the by

by - (Old Norse) ‘settlement’ or ‘village’. First non old-English one :okay:

1699273722351.png

Went through five on Sunday:
Cosby - 'Cossa's farm/settlement' or perhaps, less likely, 'Kofsi's farm/settlement'.
Blaby - 'Blar's farm/settlement'.
Willoughby Waterleys - 'Willow-tree farm/settlement', with the later addition of 'water meadows'.
Ashby Magna / Parva - 'Large / Small Ash-tree farm/settlement'.

Now joint second with ford:

1699273943466.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom