Placenames Revisited.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I just remembered that when I was living near Mönchengladbach there was a village called Pongs. And just down the road from here there's a place called Titisee but it would be juvenile to mention that.

redfox

I recall swimming in Titisee with my son, we both found it quite amusing. His excuse was that he was 10, I don't have one.

I never grow tired of this subject...so I'll post my nearest funny placenames:
Willey, Leics (about 5 miles from here)
Bell End, Worcs (I used to mtb through here)
Twatt, Orkney (when we had this thread on singletrack a fewyears ago I discovered this place - it's not far from somewhere called 'burnt mound')
and so on...

Bigtallfatbloke

My sister in law lives near the Tit sea....it's a bit hilly though...when I was there last time it was also bloody freezing. :blush:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ugley and Nasty. Our local CTC has an Audax they call 'The Ugley Nasty Ride' as it goes through these places.

There's also a part of Falkirk that has the somewhat confrontational postcode of FK2 0FF!

Pandaboy

In eastern Cornwall there is a place called Botus Fleming which always sounds like a respiratory disease to me!

Lickey End near Bromsgrove never fails to raise a smile either.

Pandaboy

Uncle Mort said:
This site lets you insert your postcode and find the daftest place names in your vicinity, even including multimaps so you can get to them easily - essential reading !

http://andy.pants.users.btopenworld.com/Placenames.html

That is good.

Near me are:

Druggers End
Wyre Piddle
Piddle Brook
Sodom
Bullyhole Bottom
Box Tunnel
Feckenham
Booby Dingle
Wet Pits
and the aforementioned Lickey End

For my parents postcode in deepest darkest devon:

Crapstone
Lower Piles
Bush Down
Brown Willy
Atshaton Wood
Lickham Bottom
Dead Cow Point
Clitsome Farm
Burnt Bottom
Piddlehinton

I have actually visited/ travelled through Druggers End, Wyre Piddle, Lickey End and Crapstone - so it looks like I have some travelling to do.

Oh and travelling into Cheltenham to go to work I sometimes go via Uckington - which isn't very funny except people keep adding an F to the front on the road sign.

Oh my word I'm in heaven. My postcode is close to:

Willey
Bishops Itchington
Foul End
Butthole Lane
Cottagers
Titty Ho
Dogpool Lane
Grimpits Lane
Pestilence Lane
Lickey End

Now I'm thinking of devising a cycle tour based on the above...

radger

Veteran
The A303 is a great source of signposts to strangely-named places. It's a road I've been travelling for 28 years, so I never forget some of the treats I've seen, which include:
Catsgore
Queen Camel
Dummer

Then there's a place nearish Exeter called Dog Village which I once visited having failed to get out of Exeter on the right road. This makes me laugh, anyway

If you like stupid place names, I recommend this book

Top Bottom