1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Placenames Revisited.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Andy in Sig, 9 Jul 2007.

1. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

I just remembered that when I was living near Mönchengladbach there was a village called Pongs. And just down the road from here there's a place called Titisee but it would be juvenile to mention that.

2. redfox

redfox New Member

I recall swimming in Titisee with my son, we both found it quite amusing. His excuse was that he was 10, I don't have one.

3. longers

longers Veteran

How about French Lick, Indiana?

Sounds like a technique not a place. :blush:

4. I never grow tired of this subject...so I'll post my nearest funny placenames:
    Willey, Leics (about 5 miles from here)
    Bell End, Worcs (I used to mtb through here)
    Twatt, Orkney (when we had this thread on singletrack a fewyears ago I discovered this place - it's not far from somewhere called 'burnt mound')
    and so on...

5. Fanny Hands Lane in North Lincolnshire.
    Smearbottom Lane in North Yorkshire.
    My brother swears there's two places down south somewhere called Vicar's Bottom and Upper Vicar's Bottom, but I'm not sure I believe him. Mucgh as I'd like to.

6. Betty Mundy's Bottom just ot the west of Corhampton; i've walk right through her crack (well actually an avenue of trees but couldn't help think it was the former!!!! :blush:

Windy

7. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

My sister in law lives near the Tit sea....it's a bit hilly though...when I was there last time it was also bloody freezing. :blush:

8. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine

Ugley and Nasty. Our local CTC has an Audax they call 'The Ugley Nasty Ride' as it goes through these places.

There's also a part of Falkirk that has the somewhat confrontational postcode of FK2 0FF!

9. Pandaboy

Pandaboy New Member

In eastern Cornwall there is a place called Botus Fleming which always sounds like a respiratory disease to me!

Lickey End near Bromsgrove never fails to raise a smile either.

10. Not forgetting Upper and Lower Swell in the Cotswolds, just next door to upper and lower slaughter

11. spesh

spesh Well-Known Member

Isn't that a disease only sheep can get?

12. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

13. spesh

spesh Well-Known Member

A couple mountains raise a small snigger - Lord Hereford's Knob in the Black Mountains, and the Paps of Scilla (some woman!) on the Isle of Jura.

14. Pandaboy

Pandaboy New Member

That is good.

Near me are:

Druggers End
    Wyre Piddle
    Piddle Brook
    Sodom
    Bullyhole Bottom
    Box Tunnel
    Feckenham
    Booby Dingle
    Wet Pits
    and the aforementioned Lickey End

For my parents postcode in deepest darkest devon:

Crapstone
    Lower Piles
    Bush Down
    Brown Willy
    Atshaton Wood
    Lickham Bottom
    Dead Cow Point
    Clitsome Farm
    Burnt Bottom
    Piddlehinton

I have actually visited/ travelled through Druggers End, Wyre Piddle, Lickey End and Crapstone - so it looks like I have some travelling to do.

Oh and travelling into Cheltenham to go to work I sometimes go via Uckington - which isn't very funny except people keep adding an F to the front on the road sign.

15. Oh my word I'm in heaven. My postcode is close to:

Willey
    Bishops Itchington
    Foul End
    Butthole Lane
    Cottagers
    Titty Ho
    Dogpool Lane
    Grimpits Lane
    Pestilence Lane
    Lickey End

Now I'm thinking of devising a cycle tour based on the above...