Plan for Folding Bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SAB

I'm seriously considering a folder to keep in the boot of the car, so is my girlfriend.

£100 to £250 is my budget and I'm aware not so many great bikes are available new at this price, but as it won't be for a commuter I don't think reliability or divine comfort are as essential as in other cases.

So far, I'm considering a Raleigh Stowaway or a Raleigh Evo 2 the latter suspiciously isn't on Raleighs UK website...

Other considerations were given to a dirt cheap 'ACTIV by Raleigh' folder with a single speed - considered going single speed before since I reckon it'd be a good challenge but not sure if a budget folder with smaller wheels is the bike to try it on.

Although the bike will be quite dirt cheap, it needs mudguards as I think it will be hard to find good aftermarket ones for a folder that won't get in the way of its fold mechanism. Thankfully even these cheap ones seem to have them.

I can't decide if I'm better to have a simple single speed or a multi speed but lousy quality derailleur / shifters ..

I do plan on buying expensive lights and some very good cycling gear to fit to this bike including maybe a saddle with a bit of suspension in it to compensate for the ride as well as some ergonomic grips to make it a little less 'crappy' as far as the ride may be on these priced folders.

Feel free to suggest a bike in this range preferably available from a reputable UK company!

Sandra6

Veteran
The evo, is an ok bike, but the fold isn't that compact and it's quite weighty.
For the same price you can get an apollo tuck, which is quite easy to handle and has mudguards etc. Or if you can up the budget slightly - £299 will buy you a carrera transit. I have one, my daughter rides regularly and it's a lovely bike.

OP
OP
SAB

SAB

The evo, is an ok bike, but the fold isn't that compact and it's quite weighty.
For the same price you can get an apollo tuck, which is quite easy to handle and has mudguards etc. Or if you can up the budget slightly - £299 will buy you a carrera transit. I have one, my daughter rides regularly and it's a lovely bike.

Thanks for your reply, isn't Carrera made by Halfords? And Apollo too?

Just suggested Decathlon's B'Twin Hoptown range to another poster looking for a budget folder.

How much are these coming in at?

TBH, if you need a cheap anything then Decathlon is a good bet. The B Twin models are perfectly good, and start at £130 for the singlespeed.

Will take a look through their site, for £130 would that stand up to leisure use even? I want it to be cheap and cheerful, not nasty :P

Very reputable company offering, http://foldingbikes.biz/page9.html

I like this a lot. The fact that they write about it so honestly, is it built by that bike shop? So far it's my favourite.

That one looks like it might be a bit cheap and nasty, but I suppose I might have to settle for that in this price range perhaps!

Hi dahon bikes are good:bicycle:

I like Dahon, but they're not so cheap, I think one of their cheaper ones is also a single speed and for the price of it many other 'decent' looking options are available. Unfortunately I have no experience with them to really know what choice to make though

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

Reactions: SAB
OP
OP
SAB

SAB

That looks okay, lifetime warranty on the frame too. Maybe I could upgrade the components over time to get better brakes, tyres, wheels, and all?

Now, the only question I wonder is if I can hack a single speed.. personally I like the idea of how simple to maintain it will be. And I'm not old so maybe I can get used to the extra effort needed?

That looks okay, lifetime warranty on the frame too. Maybe I could upgrade the components over time to get better brakes, tyres, wheels, and all?

Now, the only question I wonder is if I can hack a single speed.. personally I like the idea of how simple to maintain it will be. And I'm not old so maybe I can get used to the extra effort needed?

I have the Hoptown 300 single speed. As long as you aren't in a rush, its great. A little heavy and a bit squeaky, but you get what you pay for. Does perfectly well on my flat rides in cambridgeshire and the fens.

Top Bottom