Plane X XLA SL (Sold)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
This is my lads bike he has replaced it with a carbon Giant so he is looking to sell it to fund a 29er hardtail, so is open to swaps as well.

He has mainly used it on the road but has been down the odd bridleway or two, he is 6ft 2in and it is set up for him in the picture.
There is the odd mark or two but nothing serious.

He is asking £325.

Pick up Pontefract West Yorkshire.
Spec

Planet X XLA SL 2018 in Flanders Colours, Aluminium with Carbon Forks, mudguard mounts. stop for cable to suit a top pull front derailleur, FSA headset.
Size XL
58 cm effective top tube, 60cm centre of crank to top of seat tube.
Gipiemme Roccia wheelset 32 spokes with Vittoria Randonneur tyres 32mm (frame has room to go bigger)
Sram Apex Chain set 42t single ring 172.5 cranks, Derailleur, Brake/gear lever, chain. 11t-42t 11speed cassette.
Selcof seat post 27.2mm, Selcof stem 100mm,
Deda Handlebars 42cm.
Avid BB7 brakes.
Saddle Sella San Marco.
Look Keo pedals.

P1010032.JPG P1010034.JPG P1010042.JPG P1010036.JPG

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
None of the attachments will open, comes up 'not found'

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I fancy trying a 1x bike and this looks very interesting.

Is that a serious offer Colin ? if so I will asked Andrew if its OK.
Yes, sure is!

I need a bike to leave at my sister's retirement cottage in Devon in 3 weeks time. I am looking at one on eBay which closes tomorrow morning so I need to decide today. This one would be good for some moderate offroad too, so it could be perfect for me.

If I bought it I'd need to pick it up from one of the local railway stations - Pontefract Monkhill or Tanshelf, Castleford, Glasshoughton, or Featherstone (or to be a shortish walk from one of those).

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
:ohmy:
I fancy trying a 1x bike and this looks very interesting.

Yes, sure is!

I need a bike to leave at my sister's retirement cottage in Devon in 3 weeks time. I am looking at one on eBay which closes tomorrow morning so I need to decide today. This one would be good for some moderate offroad too, so it could be perfect for me.

If I bought it I'd need to pick it up from one of the local railway stations - Pontefract Monkhill or Tanshelf, Castleford, Glasshoughton, or Featherstone (or to be a shortish walk from one of those).
Good news, he will take £300 and you can keep the pedals.

I don't mind a drive to Leeds, it should be easier for trains for you.
Let me know what day and time suits you and we will arrange a place to meet.

ColinJ

Good news, he will take £300 and you can keep the pedals.

I don't mind a drive to Leeds, it should be easier for trains for you.
Let me know what day and time suits you and we will arrange a place to meet.
Brilliant! I will pass the pedals on to somebody who uses Look Keos.

Thanks - Leeds would be much handier for me because it saves me having to make a connection both ways. I'll switch to PM to discuss details...

ColinJ

VERY sold! :okay:

@Venod very kindly delivered the bike to me at Leeds station this morning. He was there before me and I was a bit earlier than arranged too, so I was able to get home much sooner than expected.

The bike fits me perfectly. I haven't checked the setup with a tape measure but I rode it back from the station and it feels very close to the way my other bikes do. I'll have a closer look later.

I really like the look of it.

I wanted to try a 1x11. I think it will make a nice change - an interesting cross between the simplicity of my singlespeed bike and the gear range of my triple-equipped CAAD5.

I have never used SRAM double tap shifting before but got used to it within the 5 minute ride home. It seems an elegantly simple design.

I like the stiff, shallow drop bars. They will stay.

I will have to see about the saddle. All of my other bikes have Planet X saddles. I'll do a couple of rides on this saddle and decided whether to keep it.

I will be replacing the Look Keo pedals with SPDs. I knew that before I bought the bike.

I was expecting the wheels and tyres to be basic and heavy and they are. They will do for now, but my long-term plan is to stick the biggest knobblies I can on these wheels for occasional moderately bumpy offroad riding in Devon, and buy a better pair of wheels and good slick road tyres for my road rides. I'll do that early next year when I start receiving my state pension.

DEVON, HERE I COME! :smile:

T4tomo

Guru
After blatting around the peak district over the bank holiday I can recommend 35mm Panaracer gravelking SK+'s. You can also get them a bit wider and knobblier patterns if desired, but the SK's are a good mixed on and off road surfaces compromise tread.

ColinJ

After blatting around the peak district over the bank holiday I can recommend 35mm Panaracer gravelking SK+'s. You can also get them a bit wider and knobblier patterns if desired, but the SK's are a good mixed on and off road surfaces compromise tread.
On reflection... I will often be riding on the road to get to and from the offroad so a compromise tread would probably be a better idea.

I am probably going to leave a mountain bike down there too, so that can have the huge knobblies.

One thing I forgot to mention above is that I need to beef up the front brake on this bike. The back brake is fine, but as on my CAADX, the cable front disk brake isn't providing enough stopping power. I may be able to sort it out with the existing BB7 calliper, but my backup plan is to pinch the very effective TRP HY/RD calliper from the CAADX (I replaced the original crappy Pro Max calliper with that).

Last edited:
Top Bottom