Planes, trains and automobiles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

defy-one

Well trains and tubes in/out of London to be exact. Friends in London have asked me over so we can cycle around London on weekends. How do i get me and the bike over?

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Where are you and where are they?

StuartG

slower but further
You can take a bike on nearly all trains and the Overground (except at peak times). You can also take it on near-surface tube lines (except at peak times). You can Google the tube 'cycle' map of these lines (Circle, District, Metropolitan ... ). You can't take a road bike on the DLR, trams and buses.

So yes getting a bike round London by rail is mostly easy outside peak times. For peak times and deep tubes - get a Brommie.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Why would you want to? its the most congested city in the UK!?
go out to the country and cycle there, clean air, nice views and less HGV's!

StuartG

slower but further
Why would you want to? its the most congested city in the UK!?
go out to the country and cycle there, clean air, nice views and less HGV's!
* Because its more bicycle friendly than most UK cities
* Because 'around London' are some of UK's prettiest rides
(a train ride to our club's starting point in Purley gets you into leafy Kent & Surrey lanes v. quickly)

BTW 530kam - peak time restrictions don't apply at weekends. So rail, overground and the near surface tube lines are your Oyster(card)
Here's the cyclists tube map: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/bicycle-tube-map.pdf

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

I would be getting on at Iver (mainline) or Uxbridge underground and meeting somewhere on the circle line. The idea being a Sunday morning ride along the river etc etc etc

Top Bottom