Planet x london or Merida Cyclo Cross 500 ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just based on two things i would get the Merida.
BB5s have a poor reputation and the 1x drivetrain of the London Rd is also a definite no go for a road bike (or any bike!) so i would definitely find the extra cash for the better bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
As he said, if you get BB5s, you'll soon want to spend £100 upgrading to TRP Spyres
You live somewhere hilly, 1x11 might be hard work unless super fit

The Merida linked is a 54, the right size in that brand?

As ever, go try them out

Soltydog

Legendary Member
You live somewhere hilly, 1x11 might be hard work unless super fit

The 1 x 11 gearing is same as my hybrid, 42 tooth chain ring & 11-42 cassette, it gives a lower gear than any of my other bikes, so hills shouldn't be a problem, but you do end up with bigger gaps between gears which I find a PITA, especially riding on the flat round here :sad:
I'd go for the Merida though :okay: As vickster says though, try them out & get which one feels best :okay:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I'd go for the Merida too, mainly because of the brakes.
My cyclocross bike had the same gear ratios, but I modified them because it's hilly around here and I'm an old fart.
Depending on the terrain you ride and the strength in your legs you may need to consider it also.

Chainset changed from 46/36 to 46/34
Cassette changed from 11/28 to 11/32, which also meant a medium cage rear mech.
Cost me a few quid but there's nothing around here I can't get up now.

mangid

Guru
Just based on two things i would get the Merida.
BB5s have a poor reputation and the 1x drivetrain of the London Rd is also a definite no go for a road bike (or any bike!) so i would definitely find the extra cash for the better bike.

Not sure what's wrong with 1X. I got a Planet X full Monty Sram Apex 1X and am impressed with it, gear changes are crisp and precise. The removal of the front mech makes cleaning and maintenance easier. Not seen a downside yet.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not sure what's wrong with 1X. I got a Planet X full Monty Sram Apex 1X and am impressed with it, gear changes are crisp and precise. The removal of the front mech makes cleaning and maintenance easier. Not seen a downside yet.
How is it in hilly terrain? OP in Sheffield

mangid

Guru
How is it in hilly terrain? OP in Sheffield

Gentle rolling down here around Cambridge ;-) I've got 11-42 and 42 at the front. I'll be using it in a bit more anger this weekend coming and will report back, but I'm not envisioning any issues. PlanetX are pretty accommodating and I think they'll let you select the gearing if you contact them directly.

vickster

Legendary Member
Gentle rolling down here around Cambridge ;-) I've got 11-42 and 42 at the front. I'll be using it in a bit more anger this weekend coming and will report back, but I'm not envisioning any issues. PlanetX are pretty accommodating and I think they'll let you select the gearing if you contact them directly.
Don’t think they’ll change the brakes though?

mangid

Guru
Don’t think they’ll change the brakes though?

Ahh, yes, well, that's a different issue, I was jsut wondering what was wrong with 1x11. I don't have any experience with the BB5, must admit I did steer clear of them having read bad things about them here and other Wibbly Wobbly places.

Johnno260

Veteran
BB5's are trash brakes, that alone would put me off you will 100% want to upgrade.

I'm a Merida guy so a little biased but my Ride 400 always put's a smile on my face.

cm2mackem

Über Member
I have the Merida 500 CX 2015, use it during the winter, takes big tyres, up to 40mm I think, full mudguards, and just fitted a 12/30 cassette to the standard 105 setup and only needed to alter the B screw slightly, a very comfortable ride

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
There is no getting away from the fact that a 1x set up restricts you at one end of the range or the other.

I agree a 42/42 should get you up anything, but then a 42/11 might be a bit limiting on the downhills, it certainly would be for me. Change the front chain ring to something more appropriate like a 48 or 50 and then you will struggle up the steep stuff. It's a no-win situation that the manufacturers seem to keep glossing over, but let's not worry about that because they are making an excellent mark-up selling bikes with only half the components while crowing on about super-light weight machines without having to work too hard to hit that weight.

How much maintenance does a front mech actually need? IME it is almost zero so not really a consideration.

1x does have its place. If the bike is really used for cyclocross then there is no need for a big chainring if you are happy to roll down any fast hills you might encounter. Similarly in the MTB world, if you are happy to roll the down hills and don't do much cross country distance then it 'might' work for you, but for anything less niche than this I can only see compromises and limitations.

Top Bottom