Planet X Model B wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
beancounter said:
Does anyone have a decent picture of these wheels? The Planet X website picture is very poor.

bc

Sorry they've got a bike attached, any good?

picture.php

picture.php

beancounter

threebikesmcginty said:
Sorry they've got a bike attached, any good?

picture.php

picture.php

Yeah, that's what I meant really 3BM...

Cheers

bc

dodgy

I've got a pair, on a ride on Saturday the nipples on one of the spokes pulled out of the rim, taking part of the rim with it. And another part of the rim is fracturing at the base of another spoke. No crashes, potholes etc - just seems to have failed.
On the positive side, Planet X are great about it, they're sending another wheel.
I'd buy another pair, and they're a steal at £99.
I had to take my cassette off in order to send the old wheel back and it was a bit of a struggle as it had chewed into the freewheel a bit (Shimano Ultegra cassette).
I understand there's less of an issue if you use Dura Ace as the load is spread across the carrier.

RedBike

I can't comment directly on the planet-x wheels but my Hope and Reynolds wheels both have freehubs made from cheese.

With these wheels it all depends on which cassettes you use. The cassettes where the top 4/5 sprockets are all 'rivited' together don't dig in anywhere near as much as the cassettes that only have the top 2 or 3 sprockets fastened together.

brockers

dodgy said:
I've got a pair, on a ride on Saturday the nipples on one of the spokes pulled out of the rim, taking part of the rim with it. And another part of the rim is fracturing at the base of another spoke. No crashes, potholes etc - just seems to have failed.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll just rebuild my record hubs with some Kinlin200s then.

Planet X reckon their hubs are better than the basic Reynolds ones (pretty sure they started offering the model Bs as an alternative to the more expensive Reynolds solitudes which suffered from broken spokes), but I'm still a bit concerned as to how anybody can knock out a supposedly decent pair of wheels for £100, especially if they are industry standard Niobium 30mm rims retailing at around £100 for the pair.

Top Bottom