Planet X Model B wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpembroke

Just wondering if anyone has experience of these wheels. Looking for some spare wheels and these are very cheap (and light). I know all about the issues with the freehub but it's the Campag version I'm looking at - I reckon the height of the splines should avoid the problem of cassettes chewing them up.

So, putting aside the freehub issue, how durable are these wheels?

davidg

I have them but it is my first bike so not much to compare them to...

£100 at the moment, which why you are asking the question I am sure!

what are the issues with the free hub that I should be aware of?!

OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

£99 for the shimano version but £125 for the Campag version. The freehub issue involves the cassette eating in to the splines of the freehub. This is because the freehub splines do not mesh snugly with the grooves on the cassette. I'm assuming this won't be a problem with the campag version.

davidg

yeah, I saw that with a bit of google action. Will find out when I change to a 28 cassette for my hilly action...

perhaps better get some new wheels now in the sale as I have ultegra!

brockers

does anyone know if the model Bs use the KinLin 30mm rims? I'm tempted to buy a pair and rebuild them after a while, using some lighter and sexier hubs.

(If you wait a bit, or ask them nicely, they might drop the Campags down to £100 too. They did last year after I asked, but I dithered too long and all the sets got snaffled up in a day.)

OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

brockers said:
does anyone know if the model Bs use the KinLin 30mm rims? I'm tempted to buy a pair and rebuild them after a while, using some lighter and sexier hubs.

(If you wait a bit, or ask them nicely, they might drop the Campags down to £100 too. They did last year after I asked, but I dithered too long and all the sets got snaffled up in a day.)

Just done that. Considering the £1000s I've spent on their products (4 frames, 1 complete bike, umpteen parts) I reckon I'm due a discount.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I don't think it will be the design but rather the material that the free hubs are made of.

Anyway don't they sell replacement freehubs?

OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

accountantpete said:
I don't think it will be the design but rather the material that the free hubs are made of.

Anyway don't they sell replacement freehubs?

The problem with the shimano freehubs on these wheels are twofold: 1) As you say, they are made out of a rather soft alloy, 2) the splines are quite low so as to accomodate 8/9/10 speed cassettes. However, 10 speed cassettes have deeper grooves so don't sit snugly on the freehub. Rather they wobble about and exacerbate the problem.

As Campag haven't altered their splines it shouldn't be so much of a problem. Well, that's my theory anyway.

Proto

Legendary Member
I have a pair of Model B, Campag fit, on my training/winter bike. I paid £99.00 for them in a sale a year or so back. Probably done 1500 miles on them and they have never given me any problems. They are very light (considering the price) but they are still true, and no loose or broken spokes.
I can't comment on the durability of the freehub body, as I've had no reason to remove the cassette.
If I was in the market for some cheap wheels, they'd be at the top of the list.

OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

Cool. I had a response from Planet X (on a Saturday afternoon!!!!!) to say the Campag version is also supposed to be £99 but they ballsed up. Am waiting for them to update the page.

Top Bottom