Headset issue Planet X RT80 frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Samyo

Über Member
I have a planet X RT-80 Frame, and the headset is a bit stiff when tightened properly... its loose when untightened, like more free, how it should be but it has the play back and forth when you apply the brake and push it forward and back...

Does anyone know what new headsets fit these frames?

C R

Guru
I have a planet X RT-80 Frame, and the headset is a bit stiff when tightened properly... its loose when untightened, like more free, how it should be but it has the play back and forth when you apply the brake and push it forward and back...

Does anyone know what new headsets fit these frames?

Have you checked that the bearings are seated properly and that the seals are in place? I had the problem you described with my bike and it turns out one of the seals had come off and was interfering with the race when the headset was tightened.

OP
OP
S

Samyo

Über Member
Have you checked that the bearings are seated properly and that the seals are in place? I had the problem you described with my bike and it turns out one of the seals had come off and was interfering with the race when the headset was tightened.

Im not sure im sure it is as it went to a mechanic he said its stiff, its about 5 years old but I recently brought new bits for the bike, wanted to replace the headset anyway, but dont know which one will fit my frame.

Would this?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HSSSE...-headset-for-tapered-1-1-8th--15-fork-steerer

C R

Guru
Im not sure im sure it is as it went to a mechanic he said its stiff, its about 5 years old but I recently brought new bits for the bike, wanted to replace the headset anyway, but dont know which one will fit my frame.

Would this?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HSSSE...-headset-for-tapered-1-1-8th--15-fork-steerer

Best bet is to ask Planet X, as they sold you the bike they should be able to tell which bearings to use. BTW, the link in your post seems to be broken.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Take the headset apart and check what bearings you need - assuming they are cartridge bearings there are lots of different sizes and angles - if you are lucky the bearings will carry a stamp on side edge telling you - otherwise use calipers to measure them - you'll need to determine inside diameter outside diameter and depth as well as the angle - or take them along to bike shop and ask for same. If they are caged ball bearing type then there is still variation in size/ number of ball bearings etc

Reactions: C R

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Bearings are cheap, headsets not so much. Drop fork out, grab current bearings, pop down LBS and get replacement like for like. When you fit the new ones don’t forget the grease.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom