Weird headset tightening issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
Hi all,
The other day my headset felt lose, so I tried tightening it up
However this time after I finished tightening it all up there was still some slop/play when you apply the front brakes and rock the bike
So I repeated it - when I tighten the top cap/bolt to the desired tightness there is no play, but then when I tighten the stem pinch bolts to the right torque the play comes back? I've had to nip it up a few times over the years and I'm pretty sure I'm doing this right. I've tried tightening the pinch bolts and also the top cap even more to the point the steerer is harder to turn but I can't seem to get rid of this slop. Anyone have any ideas? It's an integrated headset.

Incidentally, I was thinking of replacing the upper and lower headset bearings as they're starting to feel a bit gritty but it seems the lower bearing is now "fixed" into the frame. I'm not sure if this was done by the LBS last time I had it in for a service or if it's stuck because of dirt. I know it use to be lose as I've replaced these bearings a few times and I would sit the bearing on the fork crown before inserting it. How can I go about removing it without damaging the frame as it feels like it's in there solid?

OP
OP
Mr. Cow

Mr. Cow

Über Member
i just tightened the top cap a bit more and the play seems to have gone - i'll see if it comes back after tomorrows commute.

I'm still unsure about getting the lower headset bearing out off the frame though.. I have a bottom bracket bearing extractor, I may try using this to tap it out.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
i just tightened the top cap a bit more and the play seems to have gone - i'll see if it comes back after tomorrows commute.

I'm still unsure about getting the lower headset bearing out off the frame though.. I have a bottom bracket bearing extractor, I may try using this to tap it out.

Should drop out, once you drop the fork out. Shouldn’t need any tools to get bearings out. It’s the headset races themselves that need tools.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Should drop out, once you drop the fork out. Shouldn’t need any tools to get bearings out. It’s the headset races themselves that need tools.
They should just drop out . But the bearings can become corroded in to the headset. My On-one Pompino has the lower bearing seized in place , surprised me as it has always been used with mudguards. I will get the nice man at my LBS to remove it ,a better option than me attacking it with a punch and a hammer and then needing a complete new headset .

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
They should just drop out . But the bearings can become corroded in to the headset. My On-one Pompino has the lower bearing seized in place , surprised me as it has always been used with mudguards. I will get the nice man at my LBS to remove it ,a better option than me attacking it with a punch and a hammer and then needing a complete new headset .

Drop the fork out once a year and some light grease if sealed bearings. If loose ball bearings replace bearings with fresh grease when there. Should stop it seizing.

Top Bottom