Planet X retro classics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
i was thinking of getting one of these frames.

But i suspect they aren't butted tubes and hence will be heavy as a proverbial and the ride quality will be also poor.

Does any one know if i'm wrong?
The weight is on the website under specs. 4lb for a medium, 9.8kg** for their full build and it's Cro-moly so the ride should be fine, springy most likely. For me the weight is neither here or there for the price. All my 9 bikes are steel anyhow so it will be lighter than some!

** pretty close to my 1958 model weight with 27x11/4 wheels ....

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I like the look of them, but at full price, you can probably build your own with your exact requirements. My single speed worked out at a similar price, however if they feature in a PX sale at a reduced price I'd be tempted if I was looking for another single speed :okay:

RedRider

Pulling through
I AM an old man :-)

And a Holdsworth fan, I have 2 already but neither in the classic Orange/Blue livery. For £150 notes frame only it's a bargain!
Handbuilt largeflange hubs on Archetype rims for the wheels and various bits out of the parts bin I'll be sorted. Then I'll have a bike to match my kit ....

View attachment 128135
Tempting deal indeed.
Regarding the wheels, as an alternative h plus son tb 14 rims are also gorgeous and have a classic box section profile.

Fab Foodie

Tempting deal indeed.
Regarding the wheels, as an alternative h plus son tb 14 rims are also gorgeous and have a classic box section profile.
Hi Redrider
Thanks.
My thinking started with the tb14 rims for exactly the reason you state. My thinking has been swayed by 3 things: the Archetypes are apparently slightly stronger for less weight so I can go for lighter spoking. The frame being notably sloping lacks the 'classic look' and .... I have a pair of Archtypes already and like them a lot :-)

RedRider

Pulling through
Hi Redrider
Thanks.
My thinking started with the tb14 rims for exactly the reason you state. My thinking has been swayed by 3 things: the Archetypes are apparently slightly stronger for less weight so I can go for lighter spoking. The frame being notably sloping lacks the 'classic look' and .... I have a pair of Archtypes already and like them a lot :-)
Good thinking. I've had some archetypes with large flange hubs too and they were lovely. Will look great.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
@Diggs - that looks like a great price to me. Paying full price for stuff from PX seems like madness given the regularity of these offers.

I got my frame for £90 but ended up spending a total of nearly £400 on building it (including the frame) - I built a new rear wheel using a rim and hub I already had, fitted an old spare front wheel and an old Brooks saddle but otherwise bought mostly new parts. I'm really happy with it. Only been out for a couple of rides on it so far but it feels very comfortable. Haven't weighed it but around 10kg sounds about right.

The stock components are fine - I've got the same Tektro brakes/levers on mine, albeit rebadged ones from Condor and they do the job. Those wheels don't look like anything special but they're probably sturdy enough.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Diggs - that looks like a great price to me. Paying full price for stuff from PX seems like madness given the regularity of these offers.

I got my frame for £90 but ended up spending a total of nearly £400 on building it (including the frame) - I built a new rear wheel using a rim and hub I already had, fitted an old spare front wheel and an old Brooks saddle but otherwise bought mostly new parts. I'm really happy with it. Only been out for a couple of rides on it so far but it feels very comfortable. Haven't weighed it but around 10kg sounds about right.

The stock components are fine - I've got the same Tektro brakes/levers on mine, albeit rebadged ones from Condor and they do the job. Those wheels don't look like anything special but they're probably sturdy enough.

must admit its got me thinking , but with 2 single speed bikes and one awaiting build can i justify it ..................

Fab Foodie

Resurrecting this thread as I've got a mail from PX
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBUBHO...271299541&mc_cid=9cf7f2a271&mc_eid=f7a3dc3c29

Didn't you get one of these @Fab Foodie ? In the DFS style universe of PX prices, how does £233 compare?
That's a bargain, go for it!
My handbuilt wheels for mine nearly cost that! If you get the Gran Sport Chainset, stem and seatpost bloody hell that's good!

Diggs

Veteran
To be honest with my sensible hat on @Fab Foodie and @smutchin given current situations I'm not sure if I could justify it myself
Although I may be working locally soon but like @biggs682 I already have a self built single speed that I could use to commute (or any number of others)
It's certainly a base line for me to look at and reassess the finance, storage and goodwill at home come the new year.

GGJ

Veteran
Amazing price for a named brand, albeit modern rebadged. I wonder how it rides compared to my (now ancient) Genesis Skyline

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I like the look of the Holdsworth, even the sloping top tube!

However, I have a pathological hatred of anything marketed using the term 'retro.'

Top Bottom