Planet X RT-58 Alloy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have had the bike about a week now (only had three rides though down to awful weather but hey-ho). The bike cost £599 but I upgraded the saddle to the one with titanium rails (not really sure why!!!) so a massive £604 :-)
What drew me to the bike was how it looked, the weight and the components for the price.

Bike details:
Frame:Planet X RT-58 Alloy Road Frame
Fork:Planet X RT-58 Carbon Road Fork
Front Derailleur:Shimano Tiagra FD-4600 Double 10 Speed Front Mech / Braze On / Conventional Swing / Silver
Rear Derailleur:Shimano Tiagra RD-4601 Rear Mech / Road / Short Cage / 10 Speed
Shifters:Shimano Tiagra ST-4600 STI Levers
Chainset:FSA Gossamer Compact BB386 EVO Chainset
Crank length:172.5 mm
Chainrings:50-34T
Bottom Bracket:BSA
Cassette:Shimano Tiagra CS-4600 Cassette / 10 Speed / 12-30
Chain:Shimano Tiagra CN-4601 10 Speed 114 Links
Front Brake:Shimano Tiagra BR-4600 Road Brake Caliper / Front / Front
Rear Brake:Shimano Tiagra BR-4600 Road Brake Caliper / Rear
Handlebars:Planet X Road Bar Strada Shallow Drop / Polished Black
Bar tape:Planet XCork Handlebar Tape
Grips:N/A
Stem:Planet X Superlight Team 3D Forged Stem 100 mm / Polished Black
Headset:FSA Orbit C-40 No.42 ACB-1
Wheels:Shimano R501 C24 Clincher Wheelset
Front Tyre:Continental Ultrasport Wire Bead Tyre / 700c / Black / 23 mm
Rear Tyre:Continental Ultrasport Wire Bead Tyre / 700c / Black / 23 mm
Inner Tube:Planet X 700c Road Inner Tube
Saddle:San Marco Ponza Saddle / Carbon Steel / White
Seatpost:Planet X Light Alloy Seatpost / 31.6mm / Polished Black
Seat Clamp:Kalloy Pro Alloy Seatclamp / 35.0mm
Mudflap compatible:No
Pannier rack compatible:No
Pedals:Available Separately
Bottle cage bosses:2 sets
Number of Gears:20
Weight: 8.84kg (19lb09oz)

Buying: Planet X give you the ability to customise your build to a certain degree - you can change bar tape, handlebar width, stem, crankset length, cassette, tyres, saddle (more I'm sure). I wasn't sure of exact sizing for the bike but had a great chat with one of the guys over the phone...I've been running a 54cm frame with shorter and shorter stems and so I went for a 52cm frame running a 100mm stem (I know it's not rocket science but just talking it through with the guy was really useful...they know their stuff and are happy to chat through your leg length, height etc to help make a decision). It fits perfectly...In fact it was only when I got a bike that fits properly, I realised what I'd been missing!
Downside was the wait for building - 21 days...however, it was free postage and couldn't wait to get it. Planet X gave me email updates about when the build was going ahead so was pleased (but eager!!!)
Delivery: Planet X called me to let me know that the bike had been built (on the day they promised) and I was able to track it from leaving the shop through the two depots and to our house. The bike was immaculate and boxed really well. The company was very helpful bringing it into the house (we have a bit of a weird layout) and the delivery guy wouldn't leave until I was happy that the bike was fine (amazing!).
Bike build: I had to but the handlebars on and align but not a chore (10 mins). I checked every bolt and the alignment of wheels etc and couldn't find fault.
Bike: Really pleased!!! Rides beautifully...very good on the climbs. I can really tell the difference between it and my other bikes (I haven't weighed it but it climbs so much smother than the other bikes so presume it's lighter - other bikes are Triban 3 and Colnago Primavera...soon to be sold!). Have had to tweak the rear mech slightly as the cable stretched but only a couple of turns and is back to shifting smoothly. Had quite a few people comment on the bike and how good it looks. The welding is pretty chunk but otherwise the bike looks amazing.

I said before why I bought the bike and I must say that I haven't been disappointed. These are all my own opinions of course but I'm not sure you could buy something with as good value for money (I'm sure someone will be around soon to point to something else but you know what? I don't really care...got a great bike at a great price).

Wow that was a longer post than I expected (that's not what my wife says unfortunately!)
Russell

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
One thing to add...with a smaller frame the only bad thing I've noticed is a bit of toe overlap when turning sharply to get round an obstacle. It's only happened once and I guess is the fate of the wheel being at that point of rotation when the foot's in the same position so not so worried.

Peter Richardson

Über Member
Nice review easytigers
Know how you feel mate I've just upgraded to this bike from a triban 3 red difference is night and day.
What pressure you running tyres at mate.

Sods_Laur

I bought the frameset only as a replacement for my crashed bike intending to swap components over and maybe an upgrade or two but my physio has said no to cycling for the foreseeable so it's in a box in the spare room. I don't have the heart to touch it :sad:

Which is a shame because it's really nice looking and I badly want to get out riding again. One day....

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Nice review easytigers
Know how you feel mate I've just upgraded to this bike from a triban 3 red difference is night and day.
What pressure you running tyres at mate.
Hi there, running them at the pressure they came with so not sure!!! I usually get them between 100-110psi. I know what you mean about the difference between the bike and the Triban 3 (although it has served me well).

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
I bought the frameset only as a replacement for my crashed bike intending to swap components over and maybe an upgrade or two but my physio has said no to cycling for the foreseeable so it's in a box in the spare room. I don't have the heart to touch it :sad:

Which is a shame because it's really nice looking and I badly want to get out riding again. One day....
GWS mate...hope you get over it quickly and get out on the new frame soon (you'll love it!)

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
I missed out a key issue! There are two choices of colour...I went for the black and white rather than the blue!

billymcq2

Thinking of upgrading to this from my red T3, what height are you and what size frame did you have in the T3?

Curently on the 57 T3 but feel I could go a bit bigger, as I just bought my Dad a Triban T500 SE for his 60th Birthday in a 60 and it feels more comfortable.
At the time I bought my T3 I had never ridden a road bike, the 57 felt better for me, but more used to it now and feel the 58 on the Planet X RT-58 would be a better fit.

Quite like it in both colours though they are out of black in the XL size.

Sods_Laur

I missed out a key issue! There are two choices of colour...I went for the black and white rather than the blue!
Hahaha me too. It's blatantly the best option!

Peter Richardson

Über Member
Thinking of upgrading to this from my red T3, what height are you and what size frame did you have in the T3?

Curently on the 57 T3 but feel I could go a bit bigger, as I just bought my Dad a Triban T500 SE for his 60th Birthday in a 60 and it feels more comfortable.
At the time I bought my T3 I had never ridden a road bike, the 57 felt better for me, but more used to it now and feel the 58 on the Planet X RT-58 would be a better fit.

Quite like it in both colours though they are out of black in the XL size.

Hi billy
My triban 3 red was a 57. Went for a large for my rt 58 perfect fit,I'm 5 11.As I said earlier in this thread was shocked how much better it is than the triban.first time I rode it 105 km 25 Pb's on strava

Top Bottom