Planet X Tempest as a winter road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hello all,
having sold my road bike and now regret it (oh well) I am thinking of getting the Planet X Tempest for winter road duties and then maybe light gravel use in the summer but wonder if its a little bit overkill as a road bike or could it tamed. I'd probably get the Hurricane but they seem sold out.

DRM

Guru
Absolutely it would, it looks a cracking bike, 700x38c tyres will be comfy too.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have both, Tempest and Hurricane. They are perfect for winter bikes. In fact they are perfect for any time of year for fast road, gravel, commuting and touring.
The difference between the two? Very little. According to my mechanic chum at my lbs, both frames are very well made with really nice welds and finishing. They are as good, if not better than more expensive Ti brands. Worth every penny. You won't be disappointed.

Bechdan

yep disc brakes - no having to clean the road crud off the rims every few days, 1x less hassle, nice frame, plenty of space for varying tires and mud guards as needed

Definitely. I got mine for the same reason. Get them to put a double chainset on though for the extra gears. I'd love to do more gravel but there's not much of it round here and it's mainly mud at the moment.

I've 38mm knobblies on at the moment with SKS 45 guards and it's working really well. Very happy. This bike will do anything.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Titanium plus fat tyres plus hydraulic discs= win. And speed on the road is down to tyre type more than size. 35mm Marathon Supremes, for example, roll very nicely.

ronaldw

I have both, Tempest and Hurricane. They are perfect for winter bikes. In fact they are perfect for any time of year for fast road, gravel, commuting and touring.
The difference between the two? Very little. According to my mechanic chum at my lbs, both frames are very well made with really nice welds and finishing. They are as good, if not better than more expensive Ti brands. Worth every penny. You won't be disappointed.
View attachment 563168
I’m choosing between the spitfire and the tempest as we speak I’m absolutely torn...the spitfire looks to be a competitive bike on number of levels and will keep up with your roadie buddies on a decent run...the tempest id imagine gives you that versatility but you lose that bit of top speed and pulling that extra weight up the hills...any advice?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I’m choosing between the spitfire and the tempest as we speak I’m absolutely torn...the spitfire looks to be a competitive bike on number of levels and will keep up with your roadie buddies on a decent run...the tempest id imagine gives you that versatility but you lose that bit of top speed and pulling that extra weight up the hills...any advice?
Iirc the Spitfire is an out and out road bike. It doesn't have bosses for panniers. So if you want to do some touring then the Tempest would be a better choice. It also has a little more relaxed geometry than the Spitfire. If you just want a bike for speed, then its the Spitfire.

Yes depends what you want the bike for.
I've got the tempest for winter riding and any bike packing I might want to do.

If I just wanted a fast road bike I'd go carbon.

Milzy

Guru
Hello all,
having sold my road bike and now regret it (oh well) I am thinking of getting the Planet X Tempest for winter road duties and then maybe light gravel use in the summer but wonder if its a little bit overkill as a road bike or could it tamed. I'd probably get the Hurricane but they seem sold out.

We have a tempest rider in the club who drops some of the best riders on their summer bikes with his tempest in full mudguards. I can’t believe how well it climbs for a gravel bike.

Top Bottom