Planet X wheels wear indicators?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I find wear indicators on wheel rims generally start to disappear when the rim is worn. The wear indicators on my DT Swiss TK540 touring rims are small indents, spaced well apart on both sides of the rims, 14 per side. These don't affect braking at all.

By the way, I once bought wheel rims with wear indicators that were grooves running along the midldle of the rim, and found out that the brake pads tend to wear either side of this groove, to the point where every time I applied the brakes, the pads would stick to the rim. So I don't recommend buying rims with this kind of wear indicator.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Thanks, I've had two types, the type where a marker is there from day dot and fades when the rim is worn, and the type where originally there's no wear indicator but as the rim wears it exposes a groove. I'm hoping the Planet X wheels are the latter type; I can't find any literature on the subject wrt P'X Model B's, however :-/

400bhp

Guru
Are you asking whether there's a wear indicitator on your current set or one on new sets?

FWIW I have just bought a set of the Model B's and cannot see a wear indicator.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Are you asking whether there's a wear indicitator on your current set or one on new sets?

FWIW I have just bought a set of the Model B's and cannot see a wear indicator.
I'm asking about the old Model B's. There's no wear indicator on them from start but I'm hoping they are the type where a groove gradually appears (its not appeared yet), if thats the case I'll get a few more weeks out of them rather than exposing the new wheels (2014 Fulcrum 7s fwiw) to worst of winter.

400bhp

Guru
I'm asking about the old Model B's. There's no wear indicator on them from start but I'm hoping they are the type where a groove gradually appears (its not appeared yet), if thats the case I'll get a few more weeks out of them rather than exposing the new wheels (2014 Fulcrum 7s fwiw) to worst of winter.

I don't think there are new model B's? I get the impression the model B's are the old AL57's (then new AL57's are shimano 11 speed)

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
So presumably the groove was machined from the other side of the braking surface - meaning that when it appears, the rim instantly fails in a catastrophic manner? Like it...
lol, it was pretty gradual on my old quasar rims, in fact they never failed they are still on the turbo bike. I'm not sure how they'll do it, perhaps they manufacture the same as visible wear indicators but just surface over it :-)

Venod

Eh up
So presumably the groove was machined from the other side of the braking surface - meaning that when it appears, the rim instantly fails in a catastrophic manner? Like it...

I was a bit baffled how this would work, perhaps this is one answer.

rim1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom