Planks of Wood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

What Plywood would you use for the middle part of a kicker ramp?
And what thickness would be the best.
Sam pilgrim builds one, and he uses 12mm Thickness Plywood for the middle, but would you go for Hardwood, or Softwood?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Can't watch this right now, but what are the dimensions of his ramp?
I haven’t got time to watch the whole video but it looks roughly 1200mm x 600mm.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
I would go for marine grade birch ply. The veneers are about 1.5mm, laid crossways, and there are no gaps. My background is scenery construction, and I would have chosen this as a sprung base for dance podiums or similar, which can take a heavy impact from landings . It's not cheap.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You'll have your work cut out if you try and bend 18mm plywood to a radius like the one in the photo above. I don't think you need anything better than 12mm OSB (about £12 for a 2440 by 1220 mm sheet). Even at 12mm, bending it's going to be a faff without a really sturdy frame and a lot of cramps.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
How did the rebuilding of your local trails go? Did you manage that? Would you like some close up photos and a google map of some plywood to help with your kicker ramp? Are you now able to spin your bars willy nilly? Did you ever manage to change your pedals?

Would you come back and let us know how any of these projects went? That would be lovely.

Oh and do some, like, sick hangers bro.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

I haven’t got time to watch the whole video but it looks roughly 1200mm x 600mm.
View attachment 508455
thanks
What thickness of ply does he use for the middle bit?

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

How did the rebuilding of your local trails go? Did you manage that? Would you like some close up photos and a google map of some plywood to help with your kicker ramp? Are you now able to spin your bars willy nilly? Did you ever manage to change your pedals?

Would you come back and let us know how any of these projects went? That would be lovely.

Oh and do some, like, sick hangers bro.
Terrible.....Sort off.
Yes please. That would be very helpful.
Nah, Yep

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's a sturdy frame, like in the shots, you won't need that thick a sheet of ply, especially if it needs bending. I fancy building a kicker/drop off out of decking, but that won't half be heavy.

Marine ply would be my choice too.

Top Bottom