Planning a stable of bikes

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Jugular, 11 May 2010.

1. Jugular

Jugular Well-Known Member

I've been day-dreaming about my perfect stable of bikes recently and thought I'd get some feedback on the potentials from you lot. The idea being to cover a number of uses from practical to fun (but generally more on the practical side). I want to keep maintenance to a minimum in most cases and quality and durability to a maximum. Plans so far:

Brompton M6R - Folding bike / city & multi modal tourer - already own.

Surly Big Dummy with Nuvinci 360 hub - Big practical bike, suitable for toddler transport (when I have those) and haulage.

Cheviot SE - European road tourer, and quick enough for audax (I suspect).

Roberts Roughstuff with Rohloff - Expedition / tourer

Velotechnik Recumbent or Recumbent Trike - Bit of fun, quick, comfortable and suitable for long day rides.

Old Refurbished Dawes Galaxy - Hack bike (current tourer until a Cheviot SE is bought)

EBS Mountain bike with lock-off front suspension - Fun mountain bike for basic trails and tracks.

I'm keen to keep things British made on the whole (don't know anything about British recumbents), and obviously touring is a big draw for me

2. style over speed

style over speed riding a f**king bike

nice collection, I think you need to add a dutch type bike in there or a pashley... I've been acquiring bikes which tend towards touring, as well, rather than riding fast; 2 surly LHTs, a crosscheck and a dahon folder (which is hardly used). But its my 5 speed velorbis which is by far the nicest to ride.

3. Norm

Norm Guest

Nice list.

I have had no thoughts of N+1 for a while now, as the ones I have already (20 year old Giant Coldrock clunker, Giant Talon 3 MTB, Spesh Secteur Sport roadie and Spesh Tricross cyclo-x) cover all the riding I'm doing at the moment.

In an ideal world, I'd add a tourer (Surly LHT?), a folder (also a Brompton but I think the S rather than the M) and a 'bent (Catrike Expedition or Musashi) but I'm happy enough to stick with N.

For now. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice