Planning Edinbugh to Scrabster Route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
I'm planning a tour from Edinburgh to Sanday (Orkney), starting on May 14th, this is my proposed route so far. I've chosen to go via Aberdeen as I've cycled North out of Inverness twice already.

I'm missing out the very scenic Bonar Bridge - Lairg - Altnaharra route to Betty Hill and planning to follow the A9 North to Helmsdale in order to make up a bit of time, at that point I can decide whether to take a break from the traffic and cut inland to Betty Hill or carry on North via Wick. Any suggestions on how I might improve on the route would be most welcome, TIA.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/312112

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm planning a tour from Edinburgh to Sanday (Orkney), starting on May 14th, this is my proposed route so far. I've chosen to go via Aberdeen as I've cycled North out of Inverness twice already.

I'm missing out the very scenic Bonar Bridge - Lairg - Altnaharra route to Betty Hill and planning to follow the A9 North to Helmsdale in order to make up a bit of time, at that point I can decide whether to take a break from the traffic and cut inland to Betty Hill or carry on North via Wick. Any suggestions on how I might improve on the route would be most welcome, TIA.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/312112

Pedantic point Bettyhill is all one word.
I would cut inland at Helmsdale but not go near Bettyhill but keep straight on at Kinbrace on the A897 as the road takes you further east to meet the main north coast road near Melvich. The last time I was up there the NCN500 was still in it's infancy but made the road pretty busy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Pedantic point Bettyhill is all one word.
I would cut inland at Helmsdale but not go near Bettyhill but keep straight on at Kinbrace on the A897 as the road takes you further east to meet the main north coast road near Melvich. The last time I was up there the NCN500 was still in it's infancy but made the road pretty busy.

Thanks @oldwheels that's just the kind of tip I was looking for. Making the morning ferry from Bettyhill is a bit of a schlep. I see there's a beach at Melvich, I'll definitly check it out as a possible camping spot.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Thanks @oldwheels that's just the kind of tip I was looking for. Making the morning ferry from Bettyhill is a bit of a schlep. I see there's a beach at Melvich, I'll definitly check it out as a possible camping spot.

Never used it myself but there was a campsite at Melvich which may restrict access to the beach.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Melvich campsite is by the Halladale Inn, about a mile the Bettyhill side of the junction. Beach access is down a track about a half mile further on.
If I was going for beach camping, I'd probably go for Sandside bay, Reay (about 4.5 miles the Thurso side of the junction), as it's roadside, and with toilets.

Another possibility is to take the cycle trail from Forsinian ( 4 miles N of Forsinard station) via Altnabreac station to rejoin the road near Strathmore Lodge, and thence via Westerdate and Halkirk to Thurso.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Melvich campsite is by the Halladale Inn, about a mile the Bettyhill side of the junction. Beach access is down a track about a half mile further on.
If I was going for beach camping, I'd probably go for Sandside bay, Reay (about 4.5 miles the Thurso side of the junction), as it's roadside, and with toilets.

Another possibility is to take the cycle trail from Forsinian ( 4 miles N of Forsinard station) via Altnabreac station to rejoin the road near Strathmore Lodge, and thence via Westerdate and Halkirk to Thurso.

@andrew_s Thank you so much for your suggestions. I'm thinking a night at a campsite with showers might be a welcome break by that point of the journey, otherwise
Sandside Bay looks a very promising spot for wildcamping and less of the Dounreay traffic to contend with the next morning.

I have to catch the early ferry to Kirkwall in order to make the last Sanday ferry so the Forsinian trail would have to be explored on the return journey.

The name "Forsinian" jogged my mind (thanks!), I think have taken the road south to Helmsdale in 2015, its pretty flat and has a very different landscape from the Strathnaver trail.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Does anyone have any tips for Aberdeenshire, I'm completely unfamiliar with the are?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Sustrans have reasonable map of that area. I have over the years cycled many bits around Aberdeen and along the north coast but never the whole area. Avoid the A90 andA96 but there are many bits of old railway line used and lots of quiet side roads. The bit from Fraserburgh to Macduff is a bit lumpy with lots of short steep hills. No real problems encountered tho’. I have a couple of photos I may put up when I find them.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Just west of Whitehills and the Dwarfie Stane on Hoy where you should try to go.

695D3F21-A17F-4054-A4FD-9E5F1E028F93.png

AC8C1739-9C32-46A6-9FE5-7A39529DCD6D.png

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
@oldwheels thanks again. I'm aiming for around 6 days for the tour so will probably stay West of Fraserburgh. I'm still waiting on suitable tyres to arrive and have a load of other prep to do, so sticking more or less to Route 1 is probably the sensible option. I will take your advice and check the cycle.travel route against the Sustrans maps for the area :okay:

Top Bottom