Planning Heart Rate Zone Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a turbo trainer on back order (got a great xmas deal, plus 10% discount with BC) but don't have a power meter for on the road.

So while out on the commute I want to fit in some heart rate zone training, can anyone recommend some good free resources for planning the zone training sessions for an experienced cyclist. Santa has gifted me a Garmin Edge 520 this year, so hoping I can use this to get a little fitter this year.

I'm not planning on competing in any races, so no need for a power meter, I just want a basic heart rate regime. I'm just struggling to find where to start. Admittedly there's lots of basic advice out there on what zone training is and how it works, but I can't find anything about formulating a proper training plan. Someone recommended me training peaks, but at first glance it's not free, I want to learn to fish, but not pay for my fish!

Tin Pot

Guru
So my advice would be that heart rate training isn't worth spending much effort on...for cycling.

I spent three nearly four years training and there's not much about for cycling, power has taken all the attention.

What you're basically looking for is a moajirity aerobic training, with a small, maximum 10%, amount of time in anaerobic zones.

Cyclingnisnt too hard on there heart so it's pretty easy to stay in aerobic (breathing through the nose), and find a steep hill to put you into anaerobic zones.

My ironman training last year was basically lots of long easy rides in HR Z1/2 depending on which zoning system you use. A few times I'd be on a hill or find an open straight and be able to get up to Z3 sometimes Z4.

S-Express

As above - unless you have any specific performance goals or targets, then I simply wouldn't bother riding with HR or setting zones. Time in particular zones should ideally reflect your performance objectives, but as you don't have any it all seems a bit pointless.

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Fair points, so what kind of training regime would suit a cyclist who simply wants to be a better all-rounder. I'm already working on my weight to help with my climbs!

Tin Pot

Guru
Fair points, so what kind of training regime would suit a cyclist who simply wants to be a better all-rounder. I'm already working on my weight to help with my climbs!

The same as already posted - cycling is an aerobic endurance sport (unless you're doing criterium racing or TTs).

Use you HRM to make sure your easy ride is easy (e.g. 60-75% max HR*) but not lazy.

Use you HRM to make sure you hard sections are hard but not too hard (e.g. 80-90% max HR*)

So let's say two rides per week;

1 go for a ride for a hundred minutes, see if you can get ten minutes on a steep hill, or twenty on a less demanding slope.

2 Get in a relatively flat ride 2hrs all z2

*There are six or seven published methods of calculating hr zones, I do them all then average the result. Then I only care about the aerobic and anaerobic zones - usually referred to as zone 2 and zone 4.

Tin Pot

Guru
Your other alternative is to do what I'm doing this year;

1. But a wahoo blue sc ~£40
2. Fit it to your bike and test it
3. Throw said bike and everything off a cliff in a fit of rage
4. Try again
5. Buy a trainer road subscription and using virtual power follow their plans

:smile:

S-Express

cycling is an aerobic endurance sport (unless you're doing criterium racing or TTs).

Any activity beyond around 20 seconds duration is going to be predominantly aerobic in nature.

All I would add is that anerobic work tracks very poorly on HRMs as there is a significant lag. Besides, you don't really need an HRM to tell you when you are anaerobic.

For steady-state work at endurance, tempo or sweetspot levels then HR may be useful, but all of those levels will relate to RPE in any case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom