Planning my first bike tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ch3

Hi there!

First post on your forum. I came across it this afternoon and I spend several hours going through various posts collection valuable information. Now I'd like to share with you my very ambitious plan and ask you various questions.

So.... I've now been in Uk for 7 years. I recently gave my notice and I am about to move back to Greece. It's a couple of months now though, that I've been constantly thinking about getting there on my bike rather than a plane. The plan is to cycle to Italy and take the boat from there to Greece. Friends also suggested to go by the west coast of France rather than choosing the fastest route, as it's more beautiful. I guess it's worth the extra 800km right?

And my big question is... will I make it?
I've been commuting with a bike almost everyday, 6 our of the 7 years here in England. I've been to a few group rides (about 50-60km) which I found rather easy and did London to Brighton one time with a friend (a lot faster than me) which I found a lot harder than I thoughts, mainly because of the hills.
After that, I've been trying to do some training by going up and down to High Gate(one of the hills in London) several times to get used to it. I am also planning to do more rides and hopefully longer than a day before I depart. I am planning to leave London in mid August so I still have time to plan and train. I think that's also the right time to start, as it will be warm up north and then not extremely hot when I get to the southern Europe. Right?
Do you have any other advices regarding training and mental preparation? I am doing this by my self.
=

These two MEGA links at the bottom to google maps, shows the route I am planning/hoping to make. In total, it's about 3000km and I've tried to divide it to days of between 50-100km, to see roughly how many days (40?)it will take me, rather than a strict plan of which cities I want to visit. And of course I know during the first week, I should not attempt more than 50-70km a day. Do you think after 2-3 weeks I'll be strong enough to climb the mountains of south Europe? Will I be able to cycle everyday, even if it is only 40-50km?

I've got loads of other questions to ask regarding gear and planning... but I'd rather keep the first post small and go in to more details later on.

Thank you

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...3516,5.317383&spn=12.324552,22.895508&t=p&z=6

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...316584,5.097656&spn=12.3688,22.895508&t=p&z=6

Comatosed

To answer the big question, yea I'm sure you'll make it and you should definatly go for it! I would have thought after 2-3 weeks you will be fit enough for the mountains, as it seems you have a solid base fitness from your regular cycling.

You mention you're doing it alone, you'll find that you'll meet plenty of people along the way. That's the advangage of cycling solo, you have your own space when you want it but you can 'latch on' to people when you fancy a bit of company.

Hi ch3 and welcome. I will not be able to offer any practical advice when you get to the detail questions about equipment and so on, but i will say ..

DEFINITELY do it. It sounds like a great adventure and lots of fun. To me, it doesn't sound as though your planned mileage will be too difficult giving the miles you have behind you already and the preparation you are doing. However, I don't have any experience in this area other than what I've read on here so take what I say there with a pinch of salt!! ;)

Your route looks like fun: I've done some of the French bits by car and motorcycle and I'd recommend a night or two in La Rochelle, which is a very pretty harbour town. The area around the harbour is good, the outskirts less so. You might consider turning left (inland) around Bordeaux and going through the Dordogne region, visiting place such as Sarlat and Millau. It's a very picturesque area of France. The only thing would be that you'd then miss the edge of the Pyrenees. Have fun with it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Do it. Sounds like you're already fitter and more used to cycling than a lot of people when they start out on their first tour, and the more you do, the fitter you'll get. Build in some decent contingency time, for those days when you really don't want to have cycle, and give yourself regular days off, if nothing else in order to chill out and take in the local sights/cuisine.

It sounds great. I'm just thinking about the beginning of a plan to sod off round France, or maybe Europe, in a year or two when I have some money in the bank. I envy you, and I look forward to finding out how you get on!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Of course you can do it. Train a bit and you'll be fine. I cycled to Italy with my wife 2 years ago, 1500 miles at 50m per day so you'll be okay. The only thing I would say is that the section from Bordeaux to Bayonne is a bit dull and flat.
I took a slightly more direct route.

betty swollocks

large member
Of course you're fit enough: just remember to eat and drink plenty - especially drink.
As regards your route: it looks lovely, but I'd advise to keep roughly to it but avoid the big towns. Three reasons: a) they can be quite difficult to navigate in and out of, :rofl: after a day of peace and quiet cycling through the beauty of the countryside, the speed and hurly burly of a big town can be quite hard to tolerate c) a route connecting small towns and villages will be much more traffic-free.
Remember that August is the time that the French traditionally take their holidays - so hotels, campsites and other 'touristy' type things may well be very busy/full/ fully booked.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Unlikely to be of use but I've stayed in a campsite and a B&B in Heche which is between points R & S. I can recommend either.

OP
OP
C

ch3

First of all thanks a lot for taking the time to read and reply to my post.

The reason I am asking about the fitness is because apart from cycling I can't say I am an athletic guy at all. Since a kid and now as a professional, I'm spending more time in front of the monitor clicking and double clicking, than sleeping or doing anything else. Likely during the last year, I join the gym and I was doing a lot of running, so hopefully I'll be fine.

rich p -> Thanks for the info for the campsite in Heche. I'll try to check it out. The rout from Bordeaux to Bayonne goes through a national park. Is it not that nice? The reason I am add this region is because apparently there are a few nice villages around. Check this site:
http://www.francethisway.com/most-beautiful-villages.php
If not, maybe I should then aim for Mont de Marsan then after Bordeaux. I've heard many people saying the Pyrenees are amazing. Right?

betty swollocks -> I can imagine August is the peak time, but that's one of the reasons I am leaving England in mid August. I would imagine a couple of weeks later, things will starts becoming quiter.

Can you give me a rough approximation of how much money would I need per day in France? Is the avarage camping price about 10-20 eurpos? On top of that, do you think I will need more than 30 euros per day to eat? I am not planning to carry cooking stuff to save on the weight.

What is worst? Cycling in rain, or 30-35c temperature? How do you deal in these cases? I guess waterproof clycling trousers and a jacket are essential right?

I don't have any laptop or any other wifi devices. Are internet-cafes common in the country side of France?

Thanks again for the encouragement!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The cheapest campsites are municipal ones which are fairly widespread but there is no comprehensive website. I have paid between 3 and 15 euros per night. I'm sure the Bordeaux section will be fine although I found it a bit monotonous but only for 1 or 2 days and your legs may appreciate no hills for a while! My memory is of straight roads closed in by pine trees.
I suspect internet cafes will be rare outside larger towns but some of the campsites may have a facility although not the cheaper ones.

I just got back from the Pyrenees and they are spectacular but steep! I see you're doing the Tourmalet and Aspin which is a good challenge. Make sure you allow yourself shorter mileage days in the mountains!
Personally I'd rather have it hot than wet but others may feel differently. Dry and hot weather when camping means you can wash your clothes easier and have a dry tent to pack away. Take on plenty of liquids. You can certainly eat for 30 euros per day but avoid glitzy restaurants. Bread, cheese cheap wine with some fruit- I'm envious already!

willem

Über Member
Great idea, and I am sure you will make it, even if I think it may take a couple of days longer. Anyway, you will start gently. As for the route, I would do some research on existing routes, as these will usually avoid the worst climbs and the heaviest traffic. Here is a Dutch survey http://www.fietskaartinformatiestichting.nl/web/fietsweb.htm - I am afraid I do not know of something similar in English. Anyway, France is full of bicycle routes.
When it rains it is whet, and that may get cold. In fact it is the cold that makes the rain a problem. So you certainly need a waterproof jacket (E Vent jackets are nice), and really also some raintrousers. These you will use far less, so cheap ones will do. Wear them on top of other trousers and you are set for pretty cold weather (which you may encounter). Also take some waterproof gloves. Descending in freezing rain is dangerous enough without freezing fingers. Finally bring a buff. They weigh next to nothing, and are surprisingly warm and versatile. Chainreaction cycles do hi viz ones. And that brings me to visibility and safety. Hi viz clothing etc is a real safety advantage, Again CRC do some nice stuff: I like their Brooks Nightvision running shirts and socks.
I would not want to rely on restaurants for a trip this long. You save a fortune cooking your own meals, it is healthier, and a cup of coffee before you head off is not a bad idea idea. The Trangia 27 Ultralight meth stove + pans really is convenient and light, and lets you cook pretty real meals. More basic but rather cheaper and lighter would be a Mini Trangia 28 (but bring a piece of foil for a windscreen). The Platypus Platypreserve wine container http://www.platypreserve.com/ is much lighter than a glass bottle (some 400 grams lighter), and more convenient. You can also use it for water.
In principle I fully agree with your principle to keep it light, however. Don't take more than will fit in some rear panniers, with the tent on top.
Enjoy,
Willem

OP
OP
C

ch3

willem -> I already have some waterproof trousers, but they are thick plastic, rather than breathable ones. Do you think I should spend some money on better ones? I guess for jackets everybody would recommend GORETEX, which is rather expensive. Do you think the similar jackets from other brands are equally good? For example this kathmandu one?
The buff sounds like a good idea. I wish I had bought one already all these years.

And since we are on the clothing topic, what is the best combination for shorts?
One good padded short? or a normal short with a couple of padded lycra underneath? Do you wear underwear along with the lycra?

On another issue, I think I should definitely carry my ABUS d-Lock even if it's a little heavy right? I had 2 bikes stolen within the last year and I don't want this one stolen again, especially while on touring.

samid

Guru
Re jackets - FWIW, I have an Altura waterproof/breathable jacket, which is not Goretex, and so far have been very happy with it. I'm sure most modern waterproof/breathables should be fine.
For shorts, I like Rapha fixed knickers - just enough padding to add some comfort while allowing to walk normally, fast drying, zipped rear pockets for your wallet/keys/etc, and look normal enough to walk around. I also wear sandals rather than shoes. With that combo, I find that waterproof pants are not needed in summer - top is kept dry by the jacket, bottom dries out quickly enough. YMMV of course :tongue:

willem

Über Member
Somethin breathable is a good idea, and since on a bike you are working hard E-Vent is the best (more breathable than Goretex). As I said, you will only use the rainproof trouers a few times, so I think it is smarter to spend you money on a good E -vent jacket, and get some basic trousers. rather than fancy breathable ones (unless money is not an issue, of course).
I think you need two pairs of cycling shorts, so you can wash them. I have one real roadcycling pair, and one par that looks like an ordinary lightweight shorts, but with padding inside. To make th ecopmbination possible tyhe padding is thinner, however, and you can feel the differecne. So if you want reral cycling copmfort, two pairs of real (thickly) padded cycling shorts is the minimum. And don't use underwear wikt these.
Willem

Top Bottom