planning my first tour. I've chose Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sula B

Hi there.
first of all i wanna apologize in advance for my bad English.

im planning to go in a tour in Europe with my friend. i think a will take in maybe in mid October and the distance will be around 2000 km, maybe ill start in France and finish the trip in Netherlands.
i have Trek Domane AL2.

this is my first experience and my second time in Europe, so i don't have any idea about the rules of riding a bike in highways or in the city ... etc.

so, can you give me any tips that will make my tour easier and more fun ? like roads and things i should take with me

thank you all
user_online.gif
report.gif

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It will be wet and cold in October.

Hi there.
first of all i wanna apologize in advance for my bad English.

im planning to go in a tour in Europe with my friend. i think a will take in maybe in mid October and the distance will be around 2000 km, maybe ill start in France and finish the trip in Netherlands.
i have Trek Domane AL2.

this is my first experience and my second time in Europe, so i don't have any idea about the rules of riding a bike in highways or in the city ... etc.

so, can you give me any tips that will make my tour easier and more fun ? like roads and things i should take with me

thank you all
View attachment 568367 View attachment 568368

Hmmmm......in years of reading trip journals and the like I've never come across any kind of a discussion on the rules!^_^

Given that your trip is involving at least three countries I'd suggest that Google is your friend. Try "cycling rules in ..........". You'll get a more comprehensive response than here. If you're really worried about it, contact your embassy in the relevant countries.

www.crazyguyonabike.com is a treasure trove of journals with a great search function very useful for inspiration and information.
https://cycle.travel is a great planner for safe cycle routes.

As the others have said.... To make your tour more fun go at a different time of the year! As well as poor weather there is also less daylight!
If you're planning to camp options will be fewer at that time of year.

The Netherlands is fine for using English, Belgium, in parts is too, but France can be more challenging. Even attempting a little bit of French can be helpful.

It's worth remembering that these countries have pretty good bike on a train services. This can be handy for getting in and out of major cities.

Apps like Booking.com, AirBnB can be very useful for the travelling cyclist.

Finally, "Maybe France and the Netherlands" is a bit vague. Maybe think about the places you'd like to visit and then try to link them up. If it's cold, wet and dark and you're tired at least you're heading to a place you want to visit as opposed to another dot on a map.

Good luck!

RichardB

Slightly retro
Even attempting a little bit of French can be helpful.

I'd go further - it is essential. Whenever I have conversations with people in France, I have always tried to speak in French first, no matter how badly. Sometimes we end up with sign language, sometimes we continue in English, if my French isn't up to it. In consequence, outside of the capital (where different rules apply, as with all capital cities), I have never had a French person be rude to me. They are very proud of their language, and if you give them the respect of trying to speak in their own tongue, it is highly appreciated.

Having said that, my French now is reasonably good, but when I first went there it was with a bare pass at O-level and I hadn't used it in 10 years, i.e. dog-rough. Nevertheless, gave it a try and found it a good approach.

Bear in mind that we are used to most of the world speaking English to some extent, especially the young, but there are areas in La France Profonde where no one over 30 speaks a word of English - you're on your own!

jay clock

Massive member
Mid october start? assuming you do 2-3 weeks you will be in a time when daylight is diminishing fast and weather not great. and you have possible Covid issues to handle like proving with tests that you don't have it. if camping many campsites will be closed at that time.

If you MUST come to Europe in mid October I would head for Southern Spain. Ideal weather and loads of choice of routes. Camping open and loads of cheap hotels

OP
OP
Sula B

Sula B

Might be good to avoid big cities where there's more traffic and it tends top be less bike friendly (depends the city of course).

Where are you coming from ?

As others have said a month earlier would be better for weather.

im coming from saudi arabia.

OP
OP
Sula B

Sula B

Hmmmm......in years of reading trip journals and the like I've never come across any kind of a discussion on the rules!^_^

im from a country dost have any road for cycling, so :huh:

im coming from saudi arabia.

Excellent :okay: then this will be a great experience.

As said i'd avoid large city traffic and ideally stick to the smaller "B" roads which are typically D roads in France (A = Autoroute, N = Route National, D = Route Departmental and C = Communale or local roads). Decide if you want to camp, hostel or hotel and then start your route planning.

If your legs are up to it and you enjoy climbing then it can be a great experience to take in some of the Alps, you'll get some sense of achievement standing at the top of a well know mountain climb and not all are as hard as they sound. If you make your way up the East side of France, say starting in Nice then you can easily follow Route Napoleon (i've ridden most of it). You can start in Nice and end up in Annecy which is a mecca for cycling. Then it's just a short^_^ hop up to where you want to go North, but North is cold:cold: You could then fly back from Geneva though:okay:

im from a country dost have any road for cycling, so :huh:
I apologise if you took offence at the ^_^ emoji. It was a humourous nod to the spirit of bike tourers.
In my defence, your post says nothing about your residency or nationality and my mind reading skills are a little off these days.
And in fairness, I did make two suggestions for you to find out more information.
Personally, I don't take anonymous postings on the internet as the truth when it comes to rules, regulations and laws. The internet is great for inspiration, facts? Not so much.

Good luck

DRM

Guru
If your visiting from Saudi Arabia, the weather in Northern Europe will be quite a shock to your system, it will be cold and wet, particularly Northern France and Belgium/Netherlands, as suggested above summer maybe a better option, or Southern Spain as the climate will be milder,
https://en.eurovelo.com/
For routes have a look at the above link.
I would also reiterate about learning some French if you visit France as they really appreciate you having a go at the language and in my experience if you try and do get stuck with it, they will help you out.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hi As others have said, I'd probs try Spain or the south of France first at that time of year.

October can be beautiful weather in Northern Europe, but equally well it can be windy wet and cold.

We're maybe used to doggedly cycling through days of rain now and then, on tour because that's our cycling norm, but it could be a bit of shock coming from Saudi.

What sort of landscapes or other things are you interested in?

Camping or soils accomodation?

Top Bottom