Planning to purchase my first road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

borse2008

Regular
Hey Guys,

So new to the forum, a quick hello.
I’ll be quick on here, ive always owned a hardtail, but im doing more and more commuting, sportives etc. on the road.

Having a mountain bike im not really getting the joys of owning one compared to a road bike. Im running slicks on my MTB at the moment and just completed Manchester 100k yesterday on it. Im a big guy weight wise about 109kg, but I have decided to invest money into a road bike and clock up some miles.

My company do ridetowork where I can save a lot of money on a bike but would ideally to purchase one on that but if I can’t not a problem. I have a budget in mind and I know what I want on the bike.

Ive started to have a look at bikes around sub £1000 (personal purchase) and up to £1800 if purchased through (ridetowork).

Specs id like:

Carbon Frame and Fork

A decent brand, reliable, trusting, good after sales

Ultegra Groupset

Good colour options

Wouldn’t need to upgrade much

General good reviews

Looking at:

Trek Emonda S6

Planet X Pro Carbon

Planet X R57

Cannondale Synapse BOTY 2014

Ribble Special Edition Sportive

Any others you recommend.

Loving the style of at the moment Planet X value for money. Any input is appreciated.

Cyclist33

My advice would be to go steel. I would recommend the Jamis Eclipse or the Quest Elite, but they haven't got any left in this country...

So maybe... http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m16b201.../RS_GB/39228?gclid=CP7MmsD3v8ACFSTMtAodjiMAoQ

Drago

Legendary Member
I weigh north of 110kg and have yet to find carbon frame by any manufacturer which is rated as suitable for riders in excess of 105kg, which seems to be a widespread industry standard weight threshold for road bikes. Last thing I want is to shell out 1000 or more sheets, have it break, then have the warranty claim dismissed because I'm obviously rather weighty, leaving me with a busted plastic bike and an empty wallet :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
Go test ride your options and see which floats your boat. Carbon bikes don't make ideal commuters due to lack of clearance for proper mudguards and no lugs for fixed racks

And they melt in the rain :whistle:

You might want to check the T&Cs of your scheme in terms of actual savings over buying cash, also some of the small companies charge a surcharge for C2W so the savings are less

Some mixed feedback on PX and Ribble CS. If aftersales is a key concern, better buy in store from your local top notch bike shop, not online (of course PX and Ribble do have shops oop north)

Top Bottom