Planning to race next winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aint Skeered

I've just got myself an Alan cross frame and plan to get it built up ready to race next winter.
Never having done cross before, whats the best gear set up,an is it worth sticking a compact chainset on?
Based in West Sussex, I think there is a London league, that I will race in, so any advice or tips would be gratefully received

papercorn2000

Compact c/s is ideal, especially if you have 34 inner paired with a 44 or 46 outer. I use a 12 - 26 SRAM cassette and that seems OK. Some people go up to 28 on the rear.

bobbyp

Been looking into it myself based in Berkshire. Wessex cyclo cross league sounds like what you want.

Dave5N

Über Member
papercorn2000 said:
Compact c/s is ideal, especially if you have 34 inner paired with a 44 or 46 outer. I use a 12 - 26 SRAM cassette and that seems OK. Some people go up to 28 on the rear.

Not convinced about that. 39-27 is pretty low. Any smaller and you are quicker carrying the bike. Remember it's an hour at max HR. You're not there to sit around twiddling mountain bike gears. Get off the bike, pick it up and run.

papercorn2000

Dave5N said:
Not convinced about that. 39-27 is pretty low. Any smaller and you are quicker carrying the bike. Remember it's an hour at max HR. You're not there to sit around twiddling mountain bike gears. Get off the bike, pick it up and run.

Depends on how muddy it is - The 26 is a back up, but I certainly wouldn't use a 39 on a muddy course.

Top Bottom