1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning to race next winter

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Aint Skeered, 1 May 2008.

1. Aint Skeered

Aint Skeered New Member

I've just got myself an Alan cross frame and plan to get it built up ready to race next winter.
    Never having done cross before, whats the best gear set up,an is it worth sticking a compact chainset on?
    Based in West Sussex, I think there is a London league, that I will race in, so any advice or tips would be gratefully received

2. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

Compact c/s is ideal, especially if you have 34 inner paired with a 44 or 46 outer. I use a 12 - 26 SRAM cassette and that seems OK. Some people go up to 28 on the rear.

3. bobbyp

bobbyp Senior Member

Been looking into it myself based in Berkshire. Wessex cyclo cross league sounds like what you want.

4. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Not convinced about that. 39-27 is pretty low. Any smaller and you are quicker carrying the bike. Remember it's an hour at max HR. You're not there to sit around twiddling mountain bike gears. Get off the bike, pick it up and run.

5. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

I find it easier not to think about gearing too much- just make sure you're redlining and feeling sick for the first half an hour or so and you'll be getting somewhere.

And make sure you enjoy it.

6. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

Depends on how muddy it is - The 26 is a back up, but I certainly wouldn't use a 39 on a muddy course.