Plastic ferrules for mudguard stays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I found a pack on eBay. Just couple of quid, cable cutters will cut the stays down.
I wouldn't use the ones i use for bike work. Won't do the cutters any good. I usually dremel.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
top suggestion.
I recently acquired a lidl gas powered heatgun and heatshrink bits so am always on the look-out for innocent uses of it.
and am I the only one dazzled by SKS's variants in fixing systems? - my garage has a stack of their old mudguards ready to be plundered for bits.

I have built up a mountain of SKS mudguard bits, it's almost as if they break habitually 😐. The last time I fitted a replacement set of SKS bluemels I fitted some nylon and rubber washers (not supplied by SKS) in an attempt to reduce stress and shock damage to the guards, so far so good but it's only been two years since the last refit..

I have built up a mountain of SKS mudguard bits, it's almost as if they break habitually 😐. The last time I fitted a replacement set of SKS bluemels I fitted some nylon and rubber washers (not supplied by SKS) in an attempt to reduce stress and shock damage to the guards, so far so good but it's only been two years since the last refit..
yes i have a pair I'm concerned about - I think it's down to my very slight misfitting though - putting stress on the guard at the top where it's attached to the stay. Not a job to be rushed. The good news is that repairs with duct tape can last years.

How do you round the metal?
After cutting you usually have some sharp burr left at the tip. In a crash this can rip your legs open. Hold with pliers and apply a file to the sharp bits. This is the disadvantage of leatherman style multitools, your pliers and file are connected.
A dremel tool can do it more rapidly.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
thanks - though i wondered how you came to s earch aerial cap - i ddn't even know such a thing existed for aerials :smile:

I searched 'mudguard cap' and the word 'aerial' appeared alongside one of the items. So then I searched that :okay:

Also I bought a bag of about 40 once from China for 99p so knew they'd be out there somewhere.

IF you have one.
lidl and aldi fairly often do their own cheaper versions.
Dremels, or the copies, are very handy things for various odd jobs, though for years I couldn't see the point of them.
Apart from being seriously bemused by the advertising genius who decided that Alexei Sayle was just the guy to promote them.

lidl and aldi fairly often do their own cheaper versions.
Dremels, or the copies, are very handy things for various odd jobs, though for years I couldn't see the point of them.
Apart from being seriously bemused by the advertising genius who decided that Alexei Sayle was just the guy to promote them.
The dremel cutting disk is really good for brake and gear cable outers.

Top Bottom