Play in GXP Bottom Bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

autolycus

Über Member
I noticed a bit of movement in my BB. Not a 'thrust' in-out movement, but a lateral side to side movement. It means if you rock the chainset - pull one pedal towards you and the other away - there is 1 -2mm play at the edge of the the outer chainwheel; forwards and backwards or up and down.

I hope i've described that coherently.

I took the the BB out, greased it and torqued it up to the recommended settings, but it made no difference. My question is: is that sort of play normal or are the BB bearings on the way out?

Thanks.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
How many miles have you done on it? GXP BB's seem to have variable longevity.
I would change it though with that much play, on my GXP bb's when new there is little to no play in the way you describe.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Lateral movement is strange. I’m no expert on GXP but is it a mountain bike or road bike? Spindle length on SRAM cranks is the same for road or MTB sets so spacers are used. I’m just wondering if it’s a road bike with 68mm shell are the spacers present or maybe they’ve worn? Just a thought.

byegad

Legendary Member
Replacement needed. They are relatively cheap to buy and the tools you need are cheap too. The destructions instructions that come with it are self explanatory. Just remember right side one is a left hand thread.

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Seems to be a consensus (although i think Bottom was A Midsummer night's Dream) that i should cough up for a replacement. I've done several thousand miles on it so i guess i shouldn't moan. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Thanks for the tip, but they seem rather difficult to source. Plenty of BB30s and conversion kits, which i find a bit confusing. Tweeks list it at a very reasonable £31.50 - at least i think this is what you're suggesting? But they are OOS.

I had actually been wondering whether it might be an idea to change the bearings on my current set (a standard SRAM GXP BB that came with the chainset). They have what look like the right bearingson ebay for about £10. But i don't know how difficult it might be to swap them?

Top Bottom