Play in the headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I noticed tonight that my winter bike has a little play in the headset. The stem bolt is tightened to 14Nm and it feels tight enough. Is this normal on a bike that done 7,500 mls (3years old) and is there a quick fix or do I need new forks and is this something that needs doing soon or can it be put off?

Thanks again,

HLaB

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hold on - A-head set.......the stem centre bolt is to set the adjustment, the stem bolts hold the stem to the fork steerer - these take the stress.

I don't have a-head, but, undo the two stem/steerer bolts on the back of the stem, undo the stem centre bolt too....

Then tighten up the centre stem bolt until you get no play...then tighten up the two stem/steerer bolts - these are what keeps it in place...

The stem bolt itself shouldn't be taking the stress, it's the two stem/steerer bolts that do that...

So much easier than threaded - although I have the knack with these........only take years.......

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
fossyant said:
Hold on - A-head set.......the stem centre bolt is to set the adjustment, the stem bolts hold the stem to the fork steerer - these take the stress.

I don't have a-head, but, undo the two stem/steerer bolts on the back of the stem, undo the stem centre bolt too....

Then tighten up the centre stem bolt until you get no play...then tighten up the two stem/steerer bolts - these are what keeps it in place...

The stem bolt itself shouldn't be taking the stress, it's the two stem/steerer bolts that do that...

So much easier than threaded - although I have the knack with these........only take years.......
That's great fossy, it seems to have done the trick ;)

Top Bottom