Playing with new tools: chain checker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Slowly but surely the bike tool collection is increasing.
My latest addition, a chain checker.
At the moment I have 4 bikes at home (don't ask!) so I was playing with the new tool, as one does :rolleyes:
Results:
All chains are well tight, apart from one bike, the one I used less since I started cycling, about 15 months ago. In that one, the tool practically sinks in, no doubt it's stretched to the max.
This is also the only brand new bike at purchase for me, don't think I done 1200 miles on it, certainly less than 1500.
Question:
Is this because of my gear use? With my other bikes I selected one gear, stay on it, suits me for the riding I do.
The bike with the stretched chain is the only one where I have been using the gears, as I can't find a comfortable one that does me on my travels, probably that is the reason I use it less :smile:
Cheers for reading, another "new tool question" will follow shortly :biggrin:

Biker Joe

Über Member
Perhaps the chain on the 'new' bike was of poor quality.
Chain quality varies considerably across the board.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Grrrrr it is chain wear - chains do not stretch as they are not elastic.
errrmmm....you're right and wrong at the same time. Chains do wear, but they are also elastic, albeit by a minute amount. Ever heard of Young's modulus? :tongue:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
errrmmm....you're right and wrong at the same time. Chains do wear, but they are also elastic, albeit by a minute amount. Ever heard of Young's modulus? :tongue:
Put like that though anything could be measured for its elasticity and doubless most things will be elastic to a certain extent. I think where the elasticity is negligable it is fair, in these circumstances, to say they are not elastic as to all intents and purposes they are not. Except as you point out in the very literal sense.:tongue:

Top Bottom