Pleasant, seemingly random memories.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Sitting in the quiet while my wife popped out, I'm sat in the kitchen, all I can hear is the tick tock of a clock and in that moment realised I always liked the sound of a clock, reminds me of a stay at my grandads in Bristol circa 1969, where you could hear his grand father clock clunking rhythmically away, something I always found ... calming.

Funny how you remember something so specific, even nearly half a century later.

What's yours ?

Levo-Lon

Guru
My mum beating my plaster paris to a pulp with a wooden gun...ffs pmt is a fooker

Slick

Guru
My old man bringing in a box of crisps, a crate of mixed lemonade and a basket of tangerines on Christmas Eve. He was a butcher to trade but only did it as an extra in my living memory. He was definitely a hunter gatherer in all sense of the word and provided for a few different households in the family. Nobody he knew went without.

classic33

Leg End Member
On the bog all afternoon.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Sitting in a wooden chair in the corner of my grandmother's kitchen on Sunday afternoons watching her making a sponge cake for tea. I could smell the cake while it was baking in the oven.

My younger brother and i always fought each other to see who could get to the chair first. It was a second hand chair that she had bought decades before. I am now the proud owner of that very chair. It sits in my bedroom and i look at it every day and think of her.

It was only a cheap little chair, but It is one of my prized possessions. It must be about 80 to 90 Years old.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The hiss of the gas in the mantle of the gas light at my grandmother's, and the soft shadows thrown as the mantle began to glow white.
Actually, that reminds me of my English grandmother's house ... She didn't have gas lighting but she had a big open fire and she used to get me and my younger sister to stare into the flames while she told us stories.

Blimey, it is nearly half a century since granny died - I am getting old! :whistle:

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Sitting in the quiet while my wife popped out, I'm sat in the kitchen, all I can hear is the tick tock of a clock and in that moment realised I always liked the sound of a clock, reminds me of a stay at my grandads in Bristol circa 1969, where you could hear his grand father clock clunking rhythmically away, something I always found ... calming.

Funny how you remember something so specific, even nearly half a century later.

What's yours ?

I also have a clock. I have never not known this clock, as a kid it hung in the dining room, my Dad would keep it wound and set it by Radio 4 in the morning.
When my Dad died my brother had it but by then it didn't work any more. On my brothers death it went to my sister who never got around to getting it seen to so she eventually gave it to me.
Even at 'mates rates' it was £200 to get it restored, probably more than it's worth but when I hear that tick it is the same tick I grew up hearing.
Priceless.
20161231_2108541_zps08inimdt.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Birdsong often has a wonderful way of waking me up to the outside world. Blackbirds on a rainy night, the clicky call of wagtails (greys are louder than pieds) on a summer evening, the slow territorial machine-gun fire of robins in the colder months, even those daft green birds who have to squawk raucously every time they remember that they can fly.

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom