Please can you tell me the difference between the following two bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spud1969

Regular
I'm going to my local bike shop to see these two bikes side by side but just wanted an idea before I get there of what the difference is apart from the price.

Specialized Crosstrail Elite 2017 £800.00 (20 Gears)
Specialized Crosstrail Disc 2017 £500.00 (24 Gears)

Maybe the Elite is a little lighter in weight?

Thanks in adavnce

S-Express

Elite has 2x10 gearing, the other has 3x8. The Elite is also fitted with higher spec finishing kit.

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
I'm going to my local bike shop to see these two bikes side by side but just wanted an idea before I get there of what the difference is apart from the price.

Specialized Crosstrail Elite 2017 £800.00 (20 Gears)
Specialized Crosstrail Disc 2017 £500.00 (24 Gears)

Maybe the Elite is a little lighter in weight?

Thanks in adavnce
Higher spec all round. Frame...internal cabling, chainset etc... if you bring the two bikes up on net and compares specs it's there to see

OP
OP
S

Spud1969

Regular
Thanks for your answers. Both bikes have internal cabling but I think for what I need it for The Crosstrail Disc will be fine and I dont need the extra £300 worth of extras.

Broadside

Guru
I bought a Crosstrail a couple of years ago, it's a nice enough bike but I don't really like it. Looking back I made a mistake in getting a suspension fork, and would have been happier with no suspension at all. The crosstrail is well built and rugged but heavy if you will use it mostly on road. I ride road bikes most of the time but wanted something for very light off road riding with my kids, something like a Sirrus would have actually suited he task better.

What is your intended use for the bike?

The cross trail is a great bike. I once did a 170 mile road trip in one go on one. It's a great all rounder. It held its value as well, which was nice. The thing I loved about it was that I could short cut down light trails, and the suspension fork really helped. I'd go for the elite personally, a triple chainset is a bit overkill for this type of bike IMHO.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
If you are going to see them side by side, you should be able to do a trial ride of each and hopefully one of them will feel right for you. Also the LBS salesperson should be able to help you decide which is best for your needs.

Top Bottom