Please don't hate me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Can you clear something up for me?

I think I am correct in saying that when a bus pulls out of the stop to join the road the car behind is supposed to give way as it pulls out (unlike had the bus been another car). As a cyclist I often have busses pulling out like this as I am going round them...who has the right of way here? Does the bus have to wait for the cyclist, or the cyclist have to wait for the bus?:smile:

OP
OP
Leedsbusdriver

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
Can you clear something up for me?

I think I am correct in saying that when a bus pulls out of the stop to join the road the car behind is supposed to give way as it pulls out (unlike had the bus been another car). As a cyclist I often have busses pulling out like this as I am going round them...who has the right of way here? Does the bus have to wait for the cyclist, or the cyclist have to wait for the bus?:smile:
I would say that it is the bus drivers responsibility to pull out safely which as i see it means waiting for a gap in the traffic or wait for a nice driver or cyclist to let the bus out.
I would assume the traffic has priority in this case be it bikes or cars but i think it does say in the highway code somewhere to let buses pull out but of course this rarely happens hence sometimes a bus has to "bully" it's way out sometimes:sad:
Believe me you can be sat at a bus stop with your offside indicator and every Tom Dick & Harry just won't let you out,but you just have to be patient.
At the end of the day i get paid to be late so it doesn't bother me really,but it's nice when you get let out whether it be cyclist or motorist.

who has the right of way here?

No such thing as "right of way" in the Highway Code - I use buses quite a lot in the winter time and have a huge sympathy for drivers who have to be a bit assertive about pulling out. Sorry, BoaB, and that's the grumpy, stroppy bit out of the way. :smile:

HC #223 is the relevant bit - doesn't say any more than that it's good manners to let a bus pull out when it's safe? Driver feels good - and flashes his appreciation; I feel good, cos a wee gesture cost me very, very little, but was appreciated ....... and who loses? Let the bus out if you can.

There's a down side - if that's how you ride, it really does tick you off when a bus pulls out as you're half way along its length!

Top Bottom