Please help me choose a bike for the Mrs for Xmas !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

00009786.jpg

The Pashley Soveriegn Princess. Super cool. British. Nice.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C442&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018345

Globalti

Legendary Member
We bought my wife a Specialized Mika, which is very comfy but has a very upright riding position. She complains that it's slow but that's because she is sitting bolt upright, as on a shopper.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
some very nice shoppers being proffered but the OP did mention the lady in question is 6'2" and can hammer it a bit. Maybe an upright pootler isn't going to meet the need for speed:biggrin: She will certainly have the full range of male bikes to choose from as well.

jimboalee

MacB said:
Don't discount the idea of a hub geared bike for this sort of use, 3 speeds would be fine. You can mess about with gearing via rear cog size, quite cheaply. A Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed has gear 2 as direct drive, aim to match that to the gear she likes to cruise in. The she has a gear above for speed and a gear below for hills, feeling tired, headwinds, etc.

You get the benefits of single speed re chainline, wear, etc, a very simple gear mechanism and well tested reliable technology.

Gear your Sturmey AW3 so middle gear is close to the size of 'Penny farthing' the rider would buy.
eg, 48" for a short ass, to 54" for a lanky. ( Mine is 50" ).
Starley's Rover was 52".

Gear 3 will be close to 'cruising'. My theory here is having a gear of 68" as top, I'm prohibited from sprinting along busy city steeets ( and we know what speed does,,, speed kills ;) ).

Gear 1 will be the 'climbing' gear. On my set-up, it's 38".

On a 25lb bike, It's BANG ON, but my bike is 39lb :biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
jimboalee said:
Gear your Sturmey AW3 so middle gear is close to the size of 'Penny farthing' the rider would buy.
eg, 48" for a short ass, to 54" for a lanky. ( Mine is 50" ).
Starley's Rover was 52".

Gear 3 will be close to 'cruising'. My theory here is having a gear of 68" as top, I'm prohibited from sprinting along busy city steeets ( and we know what speed does,,, speed kills :smile: ).

Gear 1 will be the 'climbing' gear. On my set-up, it's 38".

On a 25lb bike, It's BANG ON, but my bike is 39lb :ohmy:

good advice Jim and I'm altering my sturmey setup to do just that. I'd originally set it so that gear 2 was my cruising gear in the high 60's inch range. I'd been thinking along the lines of keeping most of my riding in direct drive and saving wear on hub. Rubbish idea, gear 3 is too big so gets little use and gear 1 isn't low enough to be a great help.

Take her to your nearest Specialized Dealer.Show her the Ladies Specific Geometry-Dolce in White.Stunning,clean lines,lightweight, the new replacement to every other colour,yes even Pink!.She can have her sit bones evaluated for a good saddle(the bike comes with a comfy one in white similar to the Specialized Sonoma.)Whilst the bike has drop bars it is a pleasant riding position.My lady friend has just invested in one and is a very Happy Bunny.Safe & Happy Riding to you Both & All Out There.

OP
OP
M

medication25

Thanks for the suggestions everyone GREAT!

I took her to the cycle shop suggested on here Cycle UK in Greenwich, showed her all the fancy looking SS and she said "i love them, but i really don't want a bike that looks like its expensive, it will get nicked" , fair point she has had her seat stolen and her front wheel this year from the £90 halfords bike.

She sat on lots of bikes in the shop, many she did not like b/c the handle bars where too low.... or it looked too flashy... the guy in the shop pointed out one she loved it is a Trek not sure of the model to be honest but its cream white and has a curving top tube.. like a beach cruiser.. but only has as a slight bend it in it.. was a mans bike.

Ordered her that, lights and a hat and she is happy as a pig in the smelly stuff..

Thanks! glad i did not "supprize her" with the Gray/orange mongoose SS

Arch

Married to Night Train
Excellent! May she be very happy.

A tip, if she's suffered thefts before. If the saddle has quick release, replace it with a bolt that needs a spanner or allen key. And if she has a D-lock or whatever she has, get a long cable to go with it, so that she can loop it through the wheels too....

Top Bottom