Please help me choose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tsid

Hi everyone, new to the forum.
I have decided to start cycling again (mtb) but I'm having huge problems in choosing a bike.
I've actually bought a ladies Carrera Vulcan but the decals seem very blingy, also not sure how well regarded Carrera bikes are?
My budget is £400 (not much I know).
I've looked at a Marlin 5.
My questions are:
Which is the better bike between the carrera and and the marlin?
Do I really need a female specific bike? I'm 5 ft 4.5.
Many thanks in advance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So you've bought a Vulcan but you don't want to ride it because the decals are a bit loud?
Carrera are Halfords own brand budget line and generally well thought of.

OP
OP
T

Tsid

Thanks for the reply, had to order it based on website pic. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it just seems a bit bling. :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
Remove the decals?

What sort of bike do you want?
Do you have links to the bikes?
Do you mean Marin? Not familiar with Marlin

Remove the decals?
Do you mean Marin? Not familiar with Marlin

I think it's a Trek: https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...untry-mountain-bikes/marlin/marlin-5/p/21475/

@Tsid, I'm not really an MTBer so can't really advise - though if you've already bought the Carrera, are you looking to return it? I own a cheap Carrera MTB and it's fine for my needs, though I hardly ever ride it because I prefer the road. I'd imagine Trek would have better resale value, if that's an issue.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
'Ladies' bikes are apparently designed around er...ladies on the theory that they have shorter torso's and longer legs than men. Which is utter codswallop.
So no, you don't need a ladies bike :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
'Ladies' bikes are apparently designed around er...ladies on the theory that they have shorter torso's and longer legs than men. Which is utter codswallop.
How is it codswallop out of interest
(I’m around 5’9.5 with a longish inside leg around 33”)

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Despite numerous studies, nobody can agree on certain differences between men and women.
Some say women's torso's and legs are shorter than men's.
Some say women's torso's and legs are longer than men's.
Some say women's torso's are shorter but with longer legs.
Basically it's all codswallop. People have different bodies in both sexes.
So a ladies specific bike (in geometry at least) is a stupid idea because it won't suit all ladies.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
If the decals are too "blingy" on the bike you have bought, why not wholly or partly cover them? B&Q sell duck tape in various colours.

simongt

Guru
The GLW would agree completely. She used to ride ladies frame bikes 'til she borrowed a man's bike once. never looked back - ! All the bikes she's had since have been small 'men's ' frame jobs. :thumbsup: Ladies frame bikes are far too flexy in her view. :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
T

Tsid

The Carrera has gone back. I decided I'd rather pay a bit more and be happy.
The search continues.:sad::smile:
Not going to limit myself to a woman's bike though.
It's the pink, why do manufacturers assume that women want pink,?
Thanks for all your help.

Top Bottom